Fingerstyle Guitar [Class Hub]

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gabriele Cento
Instructor
Fingerstyle Guitar [Class Hub]

This is the class hub for Fingerstyle Guitar, taught by Gabriele Cento. This class meets on Tuesdays at 2 pm ET | 11 am PT | 18:00 UTC.

Learn more and sign up for this class here: Lessonface.com/FingerstyleGuitar

Enrolled and trying to connect to an ongoing session? Join from the My Classes page.

Hi all,
I’m currently teaching the Fingerstyle Guitar class, I wanted to open this thread in order to invite all the students, and forum members,to discuss about acoustic guitar, of course!
I have such small time during the class to get to know everybody’s musical background and music influences, so we can do it here! Everybody (my students and not) are welcome to join the discussion. I’ll start saying that I have many heroes when it comes to acoustic guitar but there’s one - in particular - that I always refer to: Marcel Dadi , he was so dear to Chet Atkins and to all the major musicians of his time, he inspired entire generations of players worldwide.

I’m looking forward to know about yours
Gabriele

Nitin Manchanda
Nitin Manchanda

Hi , I'm Nitin and I'm from Seattle.  I have no heroes because everytime I have put something on a pedestal it has fallen.  But I do enjou listening to Segovia!  I had not heard for Marcel Dadi, thanks for sharing that video Gabriele.

Gabriele Cento
Instructor

Hi NItin,

glad to see you here. Segovia it's the MASTER!!

I'm also happy that you know Marcel now. If you like fingerpicking guitar, I encourage you to walk through his amazing musical career

see you soon

Gabriele

Marc Weiss

Gabriele you are quickly becoming  one my heros. As I mentioned today, you are helping me deal with my guitar demons. Heroes include many of the well known names I have had contacct with via some form of lessons and are as follows: Tommy Emmanuel, Richard Smith,  Brooks Robertson, Frank Vignola, Vinny Raniola, Don Ross, Laurence Juber, John Knowles, Muriel Anderson, Mark Hanson, Brandon Acker, Tatyana Ryzhkova, Freddy Bryant, Steve Krenz, Martin Taylor, Thomas Clippert, and Leah Kruszewski. Also, when I was 14 years old, I played with Les Paul back stage using his guitar with the LesPaulverizer as he played Mary Ford's Guitar. One of the interesting things is Chet Atkin's half brother was Les Paul's bass player and he introduced Les to Chet and in a way, it was  Les who "discovered" Chet or with no pun intended was instrumental in the early stages of Chet's career. One of the most stunning performances I saw was when Muriel at a local concert opened the floor to requests. One man asked her to play the song Les Paul like to play with her. In a crafty way, she changed it to, "I will play the song (NOLA) Les heard me play on the radio which lead to him inviting me to play with him in New York." On her nylon string flamenco guitar she played her verson of NOLA, at least 8 bars, and then said, and this his how Les would play it; how Chet would play it; how Segovia would play it; how Jose Feliciano would play it, how Merle Travis would play it, etc. From the eyes of a student realizing she must have worked on such an arrangement for eons because no matter how good you are it would be difficult to do for the first time in such an eloquent fashion, it was still so very impressive and i wonder how many people in the audience really realized what a feat it was. 

Marc Weiss

Gabriele Cento
Instructor

Hi Marc,

thanks for joining us in the forum!

That's a story, you've been playing with the genius itself, sounds like a very cool memory to keep.

I'd like to share with all guitar fellows an audio performance from another pillar of fingerstyle guitar: Earl Klugh

Please have a listen to this 2:38 min performance: Autum Leaves,  about the 1:00 mark you will hear 2 different guitars playin the comping and the solo; well truth is that he's playin both in the same time.  You can recognize some of the Lenny Breau's style in it!

Enjoy the music

Gabriele

Marc Weiss

I am familar with everyone you have spoken of.   Also,  i was scheduled to do one of those small groups Pete Huttlinger did in his home, but unfortunately, he had a second stroke and died about two weeks prior.  Marcel and Lenny were among some of Chet's closest friends. One of the things I do when meeting these people is ask if under supervision I can play their guitar.  John Knowles 14 grand Kirk Sand was amazing, albeit, i was shaking. Richard Smith let me play his about 10 grand Kirk Sand and i fall  in love and even contacted Kirk about making one to my specifications and had his hip surgery not happened we would have met at CAAS with my own awareness, a 10 grand guitar is really not appropriate fo me, but these guitars play themselves.  Six years ago, I did a 4 day bootcamp with Tommy, Brooks Buster P Jones prodigy) `14 hours a day between the group, individual, concerts, etc.  Tommy must have played well over 100 songs and well he can't read sheet music, so it was all floating within his head.  Finally, i rarely play the Gibons L4C i got for my 12th birthday and the Les Paul Recording guitar i found from the group of 600 circa 2000. The Alvarez i play was from the boot camp and has autographs of most of my list of heroes on it. 

Marc Weiss

I am familar with everyone you have spoken of.   Also,  i was scheduled to do one of those small groups Pete Huttlinger did in his home, but unfortunately, he had a second stroke and died about two weeks prior.  Marcel and Lenny were among some of Chet's closest friends. One of the things I do when meeting these people is ask if under supervision I can play their guitar.  John Knowles 14 grand Kirk Sand was amazing, albeit, i was shaking. Richard Smith let me play his about 10 grand Kirk Sand and i fall  in love and even contacted Kirk about making one to my specifications and had his hip surgery not happened we would have met at CAAS with my own awareness, a 10 grand guitar is really not appropriate fo me, but these guitars play themselves.  Six years ago, I did a 4 day bootcamp with Tommy, Brooks Buster P Jones prodigy) `14 hours a day between the group, individual, concerts, etc.  Tommy must have played well over 100 songs and well he can't read sheet music, so it was all floating within his head.  Finally, i rarely play the Gibons L4C i got for my 12th birthday and the Les Paul Recording guitar i found from the group of 600 circa 2000. The Alvarez i play was from the boot camp and has autographs of most of my list of heroes on it. 

Gabriele Cento
Instructor

Hi all,

I'd like to invite all my students to share a video of you performing the exercises, here in the forum! Both live attenders and those who watch the videos are welcome to share. Super friendly video made with your phone will be fine, just few seconds of one of the exercises that you've found challenging or nice to play

cheers - Gabriele

Gabriele Cento
Instructor

Hi all,

here's a video recording of the open chords exercise we've been focusing on, hope you'll find it helpful!

Marc Weiss

I looked at several of the Klug videos and he is phenomenal and Martin Taylor reminds me of a more subtle version of hin. 

Yesterday's lesson and your comments regarding thumb (P) usage I did some follow-up on and experimenting with my hand position and thumb usage and how the thumb effects I, M, and A. I also looked at several Chet Atkin's, Richard Smith, Muriel Anderson, and unknown but remarkable players and noticed the thumb action and how it effects the other fingers. 

I am still playing, no pun intended with it, but even saw what seemingly was a much better tone and volume with less effort coming out of the melody notes.  I also noticed much less general tension in my right hand and less grouping for where the strings which usually does lead to tremors, shakiness, etc.  I mostly did this with your exercises and songs i do not need sheet music to play; thus, I can focus on my hand position, thumb "pressure," etc.  Finally, what spontaneously happened was how Muriel addresses the plucking of strings with the I. M, and A fingers as she learned from Christopher Parkening,  was for me, serendipitously occurring, moreover, I had what i call hand jumpiness with the right hand.  It has only been three short practice sessions and it does take time to change muscle memory, but it will be interesting to see what happens in the future. My hand is now much more like the position in your video of today, albeit, the angle is a bit different to accommodate for my deformed M finger. 

Gabriele Cento
Instructor

Hi Marc,

why don't you share a clip with us?

cheers - Gab

Thayer Naples
Instructor

Gabriele, Absolutely beautiful chordal arpeggiation happening in your open chords video. What microphone are you using and software? Really great man thank you for sharing.

Thayer

Thayer Naples
Instructor

Gabriele,

The sound you are getting in the open chords video is great! What kind of mic and software are you using?

Thayer

Gabriele Cento
Instructor

Hi Thayer,

thank you! That is one of the exercises that I wrote for the class.

As regarding for the microphones: I use Telefunken Ela M-260s and Pro Tools.

cheers - Gabriele

Loading cart contents...
Load contents