Hailing from Rio Grande do Sul in Southern Brazil, I am a guitarist, film composer and music researcher. I hold a degree in guitar performance at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul-Brazil and I pursued my postgraduate studies in music at the University of Bristol where I earned both my doctor and master degree. I worked as a Senior Associate Teacher in guitar at the music department of the University of Bristol from 2006 to 2019. Currently, I live in Leeds where I work as a Senior Lecturer in Film Music Composition at Leeds College of Music.
My guitar students come from all levels and ages. I welcome pupils who need mentoring in their guitar graded exams with ABRSM or Trinity, diplomas in performance, performance competitions or just want to play for fun. I have an enhanced DBS check and full public liability insurance.
Working as a professional classical guitarist since 2003, I have extensive professional practice experience of performance in a variety of settings and work both as soloist and in duets such as flute and guitar.
My main interest is in Latin American guitar music but I am also very familiar with the Western guitar repertoire that covers renaissance, baroque, romanticism, classicism, Spanish and contemporary composers.
In the UK, I have played at many universities where I delivered lecture-recitals, such as the University of Huddersfield; the University of Bristol; King’s College, and the universities of Hull, Newcastle and York. In July 2015, I played solo pieces and accompanied the Bristol Cabot Choir in their summer concert, and in January 2016 I played in an innovative concert mixing guitar and organ music. I performed at Colston Hall foyer in Bristol during my time in Bristol.
I also offer tuition in film music composition. I can mentor you in developing essential skills as a media/film composer. Please read my Teaching Style below for more information.
I am a very enthusiast guitar tutor. I love to motivate my students in developing their performance abilities by making them aware of their own voice as performers. I do not want student to copy my own interpretations. Instead, I want them to think creatively in the concept of their own interpretations.
Although I tend to have an influence in their chosen repertoire I am also very flexible. I often support my students to focus in particular genres that they are interested to develop as guitarists.
In my guitar tuition at both academia and privately, I have over 10 years experience of successfully helping students to achieve the following outcomes:
- Develop and display technical fluency and interpretative skills
- Prepare and present solo public recitals with confidence
- Identify and develop strategies for improvement of technical weaknesses
- Extend knowledge of repertoire and associated technical/ musical requirements
- Refine interpretive insight and its application to a high level
- Discuss, and where necessary apply, historically-informed performance styles
- Discuss performance issues confidently and in an informed manner
- Perform effectively in an ensemble context (in the composition workshops and, if appropriate, in chamber music groups)
- Discuss notational and performance issues with composers (in the composition workshops)
- React positively to constructive criticism
- Address personal development self-critically
FILM MUSIC COMPOSITION
As a senior lecturer in film music composition at Leeds College of Music and an active practitioner as a film composer, I can mentor you in developing your ability to write music for picture and production music ('library music') aiming to achieve the following outcomes:
1. Compose and present music set to picture and ‘library music’, using fundamental principles and formats.
2. Evaluate the compositional process and outcomes.
3. Apply knowledge relating to arranging and production with an understanding of narrative function in film.
4. Apply appropriate techniques with fluency in chosen compositional idiom.
Doctor in Film Musicology
University of Bristol - England
Master in Music Composition for Film/TV
University of Bristol - England
Bachelor of Music (guitar performance)
Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul - Brazil