Musician & Singer Massachusetts 1990 – Present; Freelance – Musician
Professional Music Experience:
- Session Musician/ Live Performer; 1990 to Present, self-employed
- Perform 5-10 gigs/month at bars, coffee house, restaurants, benefits, concert halls; 1990 – present
Inc. The Bull Run, Club Passim, Sculler’s, Johnny D’s, Foxboro Stadium, The Esplande, Sanders Theater, Falcon Ridge Folk Festival emerging artist stage, Kennedy Library, Somerville Theater
- Assisted musicians in producing their cds (from beginning to end); studio engineering, graphic design, marketing (web, social media, etc), arranging
- Collaborated with other musicians backing them at live shows
- Mastered various genres of music through relentless practice
- Composer and producer of music with 35 years of recording experience
- Produced 4 solo cds and 4 duo cds, original music, songs and lyrics; Produced other artist’s cds
- Owned professional recording studios 1985-1991
- Owned full-service sound and graphic business 1985-2016; inc. audio duplication
- Pro Sound at top clubs, smaller venues, and private events; 1990-present
- Built various small music venues to successful entities from scratch to finish; built stages, promoted venues and artists
- Hosted open mics; Been a DJ
- Stage crew: Berklee Performance Center, Opera House, and other venues
Berklee College of Music, BM Degree in Bachelor’s in Music Boston, MA 1978-1981
Studied voice with Mark Baxter Brookline, MA 2000-2002
Studied voice with Jeannie Deva, The Vocal Studio Boston, MA 1995-1997
Studied composition with Ben Schwendener, Lydian Chromatic Concept Boston, MA 1999-2000
Certificate in Recording Engineering from The Recording Workshop Chillicothe, Ohio 1984
Studied Liberal Arts at Livingston College, Rutgers University Piscataway, NJ 1969-1972
- Semi-finalist in National Publication Musician Magazine' s Best Unsigned Bands
- 3 Multi-Cultural Awards from Mass. Dept. of Education for work with The Kids' Earth Chorus
I love music and enjoy being part of the music business, and I bring a unique perspective to my students. After years of teaching and performing, I realize that the first priority of teaching is to instill and foster the love of music that the student brings to this process. My goal is to make sure that the student enjoys learning while working towards realizing their musical dreams and goals.
I can, and will, teach basic theory, chords, ear training, and so on. These things will support what the student wants to do, whether is learning to sing songs, songwriting, improvising or whatever. I want to make sure that the student is having a good time in the process of learning to play music, and is going where they want to go. I will help the student to define goals if need be. And, I will shift with the student if the goals shift.
I am student centric. I don't particularly have my own agenda.
Have FUN learning to play the Guitar, with Kenny Selcer (with 30+ years of performing and music making), with personalized lessons.
All Levels & Styles taught.
Folk, rock, blues, jazz, improv. Need help with making your songs come alive? I can help you with learning what it takes to support your music with better chord changes, better rhythm, and better playing and understanding of what you are doing. Just want to learn how to play that favorite lick? I can help. Want some theory? Or, just beginning? I can get you playing songs sooner then you think. I can guide you in the direction you need to go. Let’s set some goals and get you where you want to go!
• Beginning guitar - acoustic or electric.
• Intermediate and advanced guitar
• Folk, blues, rock, jazz, country
• Help with arranging your songs
• Music theory, ear training and improvisation
• Playing songs that you want to play