Lesson Feesfrom $30.00 / 30 Minutes
Welcome to my world of music! I'm Dr. Bohdan Syroyid, a dedicated and passionate music educator, composer, and pianist. With over a decade of experience, I am thrilled to share my passion for music with students from all over the world. Through my online music lessons, I aim to inspire and guide aspiring musicians in their musical journeys, helping them unleash their creative potential and achieve their goals.
Music has been a driving force in my life from a young age. Growing up, I was captivated by the power of sound and the emotions it evoked. This fascination led me to pursue an extensive education in music, solidifying my skills and knowledge in various aspects of the craft.
As an Assistant Professor in Music Education at the University of Salamanca located in Spain, I have had the privilege of imparting my expertise to budding the next generation of music teachers. Teaching at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, I have honed my ability to connect with students and tailor my instruction to meet their unique needs. I believe in cultivating a student-centered learning environment where creativity and individuality are nurtured.
In addition to my academic pursuits, I am an active composer and pianist. As a musician I like exploring diverse musical styles. This firsthand experience as a composer and performer allows me to offer a comprehensive approach to music education. Whether you're interested in classical composition, music theory, improvisation, or mastering the piano, I would be happy to guide you on your musical journey.
One of the most rewarding aspects of my teaching career is witnessing the growth and development of my students. Guiding them through their musical exploration, I encourage them to embrace their own unique musical voices while equipping them with a solid foundation in theory and technique. I believe in fostering a balance between technical proficiency and artistic expression, allowing students to develop their own musical identity.
My teaching style is rooted in a student-centered approach, where I prioritize the individual needs, goals, and learning styles of my students. I believe that music education should be a personalized and enriching experience, empowering students to develop their unique musical voices while building a strong foundation of knowledge and skills.
Central to my teaching philosophy is the belief that music is a form of self-expression and creativity. I strive to create a supportive and inclusive learning environment where students feel encouraged to explore their musical ideas and take risks. By fostering a sense of trust and open communication, I aim to create a space where students can freely express themselves and develop their own musical identity.
I understand that each student has their own set of strengths, challenges, and aspirations. Therefore, I tailor my teaching methods and curriculum to meet the specific needs of each individual. Whether a student is a beginner, intermediate, or advanced, I carefully assess their current abilities and create a roadmap for their musical growth. This personalized approach ensures that students are engaged, motivated, and challenged at an appropriate level.
In my lessons, I strike a balance between technical proficiency and artistic expression. I believe that a solid technical foundation is essential for musical growth, as it enables students to express themselves fluently and accurately. Therefore, I provide comprehensive instruction in music theory, technique, and sight-reading, ensuring that students have a strong understanding of the fundamentals. However, I also emphasize the importance of creativity, interpretation, and emotional connection in music-making. I encourage students to explore their own interpretations, experiment with different musical styles, and develop their own unique musical voice.
One of the hallmarks of my teaching style is adaptability. I recognize that different students have different learning styles and preferences. Some students may thrive with a structured and organized approach, while others may prefer a more exploratory and improvisational approach. I am adept at adapting my teaching methods to cater to diverse learning styles, incorporating a variety of instructional techniques, such as visual aids, practical exercises, listening activities, and interactive discussions. By being flexible and responsive to the needs of my students, I ensure that they are fully engaged and actively participating in their musical education.
Feedback and encouragement play a crucial role in my teaching methodology. I provide constructive feedback that highlights students' strengths while addressing areas for improvement. I believe that positive reinforcement is essential in fostering students' confidence and motivation. I celebrate their achievements, both big and small, and provide a nurturing environment where they feel supported and empowered to take risks and push their boundaries.
To enrich the learning experience, I also utilize technology and online resources effectively. I incorporate music notation software, digital audio workstations, and online learning platforms to enhance students' understanding, facilitate composition and recording, and broaden their exposure to diverse musical genres and styles.
I hold a diverse educational background, including a BA(Hons) in Music Composition, a BA(Hons) in Piano Performance, a BA(Hons) in Music Pedagogy, an MA in Music Research, an MFA in Professional Composition and Orchestration, an MA in Management, Innovation, and Leadership of Education Institutions, and a PhD in Musicology.
Ultimately, my teaching style is driven by a deep passion for music and a genuine desire to help students discover their own musical potential. By fostering a love for music, empowering students to express themselves, and instilling a strong foundation of knowledge and skills, I aim to equip them with the tools they need to become lifelong learners and passionate musicians.
Current Academic Position
- Assistant Professor in Music Education at the University of Salamanca (Spain). 2022-present.
- Guest Lecturer in Musicology at the Faculty of Musicology at the University of Turku (Finland). 2020-2021.
- Guest Lecturer of Music Theory and Composition at the School of Music of the University of Rhode Island (United States). 2020-2021.
- Guest Professor in Music Analysis at the Institute of Musicology and Performance Studies of the University of Music and Performing Arts in Vienna (Austria). 2019-2020.
- Invited Erasmus Professor in Musicology at the Faculty of Musicology at the University of Turku (Finland). 2019-2020.
- Visiting Lecturer at the Faculty of Humanities at the International University of La Rioja (Spain).
- Visiting Lecturer in Musical Pedagogy at the Alfonso X El Sabio University (Spain). 2021-2022.
- External Faculty in Musical Research at the Valencia International University (Spain). 2020-2022.
- Associate Lecturer in Music Education at the University of Salamanca (Spain). 2021-2022.
- Associate Lecturer in Music Education at the University Castilla-La Mancha (Spain). 2018-2022.
- Associate Lecturer in Music Education at the University of Valladolid (Spain). 2019-2020.
- President of the Society of Composers and Performers of Malaga (ACIM Malaga). 2015-2019.
- 2020: PhD in Musicology. University of Leuven (Belgium). “Analysis of Silences in Music: Theoretical Perspectives, Analytical Examples from Twentieth-Century Music, and In-Depth Case Study of Webern’s Op. 27/iii”. Supervisor: Mark Delaere. This degree was endorsed in Spain by the University of Valladolid.
- 2019: MEd in Management, Innovation, and Leadership of Educational Centers (1-year graduate programme). University of Camilo José Cela (Spain).
- 2017: MFA with Distinction in Professional Composition and Orchestration (2-year graduate programme). Double master’s programme: MA Orchestration for Films, Games & MA Television and Professional Media Composition. University of Chichester (United Kingdom).
- 2015: MA in Music Research (1-year graduate programme). International University of La Rioja (Spain).
- 2022: BA(Hons) in Classical Piano Performance (4-year undergraduate programme). Higher Conservatory of Music of Castilla-La Mancha (Spain).
- 2014: BA(Hons) in Contemporary Music Composition (4-year undergraduate programme). Higher Conservatory of Music of Málaga (Spain).
Grants & Awards
- Grant by the Department of Physical Education, Arts Education, and Music of the University of Castilla-La Mancha for the contributions to international conferences in music education (2019-2022).
- Incentive for the premiere of an chamber piece “Cuarteto de Cuerda” (String Quartet) by the SGAE Foundation (Spain). The piece was premièred by the String Quartet ACIM Málaga (2018).
- SEMPRE Conference Award of The Society for Education, Music, and Psychology Research in Great Britain for a spoken-paper presented at the 15th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition, and 10th triennial conference of the European Society for the Cognitive Sciences of Music (ICMPC15/ESCOM10), Graz, Austria (2018).
- Winner of the 9th Award of the Musical Foundation of Malaga, for the best academic record of the Higher Conservatory of Music of Málaga (2015), with a two-year grant for postgraduate studies.
- Grant from the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport, Professional Formation and Universities of Spain for studying a master’s degree in musical research (2014).
- Winner of the 1st Prize at the 1st Composition Competition for Symphonic Orchestra “Emilio Lehmberg” with the original composition “Los bosques de cemento” (Cement forests) organized by the Higher Conservatory of Music of Málaga (2014).
- Winner of the 1st Prize at the 1st Composition Competition for Symphonic Band “Maestro Artola” with the original composition “Mar sin agua” (Waterless sea) organized by the Higher Conservatory of Music of Malaga (2013).
- Finalist at the 1st Competition of Young Chamber Music Performers in Malaga (2012).
- Grant for studying at the Higher Conservatory of Music of Malaga by the Council of Education in Andalusia (2010–2013).
- Winner of the 1st Prize at the Elementary Piano Competition “Gonzalo Martín Tenllado” (2008).
Don't just take my word for it—here's what some of my previous students have to say:
"Bohdan is a fantastic teacher who has helped me strengthen my formal compositional skills while still encouraging freedom of expression and creativity. His ability to bring techniques to life and make them relevant to the music I'm working on is unparalleled." - Madeliene Chassar-Hesketh, BBC Young Composer Award winner
"I really enjoy my composition lessons with Bohdan. He has taught me so much in a short time, helping me structure my compositions properly and explore different musical genres. His patience and diverse teaching methods have been invaluable." - Alanna Crouch, Pianist and Composer
"Bohdan is the best teacher I have ever had. He simplifies complex concepts and ensures I have clear musical ideas. His influence on my compositional technique has been significant, and I highly recommend him without hesitation." - Julián Lagunas Vicioso, BA(Hons) Music Composition