Lesson Feesfrom $15.00 / 30 Minutes
Hi! I'm a professional guitarist and music producer with over 20 years of teaching experience. This extensive background has afforded me valuable insights into the art of learning and effective teaching methods, to help students in achieving their musical goals. I firmly believe in mastering technical principles and cultivating good playing habits while creating music that truly inspires you.
I hold a degree in Classical Guitar from Universidad Nacional de Colombia and have studied various genres, such as Rock, Blues, and Jazz, under the guidance of renowned masters and throughout a lifetime of musical performance with fellow musicians. My musical interests have also led me to explore the rich world of popular and traditional afro-Colombian music
In addition to my teaching, I'm an active performer, having had the privilege of participating in renowned festivals and venues across my country, including Rock Al Parque, Green Moon Festival, Teatro Colon, among others. I also work as a music producer for local independent artists.
- Tailored Approach: I believe in customizing my teaching approach to suit the unique needs and goals of each student. No two students are the same, and I adapt my lessons to their skill levels, and musical interests.
- Patient and Supportive: I create a patient and supportive learning environment where students feel comfortable to explore and make mistakes. I understand that the learning process can be challenging, and I'm here to guide and encourage them every step of the way.
- Goal-Oriented: I work with each student to set clear, achievable goals. According to the needs of the student, each class I give a set of goals to be achieved at home.
- Fundamentals First: I believe in building a strong foundation. I emphasize proper playing habits from the start while ensuring that lessons remain engaging and enjoyable.
- Creativity and Expression: Music is not just about technique; it's also about self-expression. I encourage students to explore their creativity and musicality, helping them find their unique voice on the guitar.
- Regular Feedback: I provide constructive feedback and assessments to track progress and identify areas for improvement. It's essential for students to see their growth and stay motivated.
- Encouraging Exploration: I encourage students to explore beyond the curriculum, inspiring them to seek out music they love, try songwriting, or collaborate with other musicians, fostering a lifelong love for music.
- Holistic Approach: Beyond technical proficiency, I teach students about the emotional and historical aspects of music, helping them connect with the deeper meanings and stories behind the songs they play.
At first I would need to know where you are at on your learning journey and what do you would like to achieve with the guitar. I can recommend you what to work on and are ready to listen what you would like to work on too.
Warmup and technique: Learn the most efficient and effective way of doing things in the guitar and develop your hand strength and flexibility.
Sound: Aspects of sound production, pick, fingerstyle, volume and tone knobs, signal flow, pedals and amps..
Chords and scales: the building blocks of comping and improvising. Pentatonic, mayor minor, modes what ever you need for your style of music.
Genre specific techniques like bends, vibrato , pinch harmonics.
Rhythm: how to play rhythm guitar in your preferred styles.
Solo: learn your favorite solos or improvise your own.
Sometimes I can recommend a specific excercise from a book or a youtube video you can see outside the lesson to expand on what we are working on. Some books I use frequently but not exclusively are:
Hal Leonard Guitar Method Book (books 1-3)
A Modern Method for Guitar (Berklee Press) Volumes 1-3
Solo Guitar Playing, Frederick Noad
The Advancing Guitarist, Mick Goodrick.