Lee’s performance career gained notoriety by working with giants in the entertainment industry. He is currently the trumpeter for comedian Dave Chappelle as a member of the group Fred Yonnet and The Band With No Name. Their performances include Radio City Music Hall and the SNL After Party. Lee recently toured with Grammy-winning bassist Marcus Miller on his Renaissance Tour in the US, Europe and Africa. He’s also toured with Funk legend Maceo Parker – where school is always in session! In 2009 he was the trumpeter for Jay-Z’s Blueprint III tour, which included playing at President Barack Obama’s Inaugural Ball. He was a member of legendary pop icon Prince and The NPG from 2007-2009. Other tours include Jill Scott, Sean “Diddy” Combs and The Jonas Brothers. TV performances include Jimmy Fallon, David Letterman, The Today Show, Ellen DeGeneres, Kelly and Michael, and HBO’s Boardwalk Empire.
Lee's teaching career spans almost 2 decades. Lee currently teaches for Jazz House Kids, a non-profit organization based in Montclair, NJ. Through Jazz House Kids, Lee teaches clinics, gives private lessons and teaches special needs students how to perform music. Lee has been a freelance private lessons teacher since 2001, working with individuals and programs including Rutgers Community Program, Island Music in Old Bridge, NJ and teaching ensembles at Rutgers University.
MUSIC PRODUCTION EXPERIENCE
KidzBop, Producer 2018
- Recreate pop, hiphop, and r&b hit songs for Kidzbop, the #1 music brand for kids
- Use Avid Pro tools, Spectransonics Omnisphere and other software synths to create tracks.
- Re created songs include “In My Feelings” by Drake and “2001” by Anne-Marie
ColorWheel Music, Artist/Producer 2018
- Cultivate music for ColorWheel Music, a music licensing company based in Denver and Nashville. clients across a wide arrange of industries
- Wrote, produced, mixed, and edited a commercial licensed for use by Levi’s Kids
- Generate music samples to share with potential clients
- Work with various artists across genres to customize music for media use
Freelance Music Producer and Engineer 2005 - Present
- Now That You’re Gone by SuNoVo (Mixing Engineer)
- Royal Flush by Felix Peikli (Producer)
- What We Play Is Life by Lee Hogans (Producer, Performer and Mixing Engineer)
- Peach by Danielle Illario (Producer and Performer)
- The Beast by Jerome Jennings (Music Editor)
- Tears Of the World by Knut Reisersrud and Mighty Sam McClain (Arranger-Spellemannprisen Winner)
- The Vibe Orientation by Lee Hogans (Producer and Performer)
Sonic Branding Solutions 2005 - 2007
- Midi and audio production for ringtones and web based applications
- Composer of audio loops for digital audio applications
- Remakes of song hits in midi format by artists like Bryan Adams
My teaching style is based on fundamentals of the trumpet and fundamentals of music in general. In order to become a great musician, I believe a student must enjoy what they are doing and picture in their head what they want to accomplish. I work with singing often to get the student to hear the music first and then produce it on the trumpet. My methods are also based on consistency which I believe is the only way to make music become second nature. I develop a routine with my students that they can practice daily which doesn't require a vast amount of time. When this routine is done, the student develops muscle memory and musicality in a quick manner. I encourage students to develop ear training by listening and playing to their favorite music and give them exercises to thoroughly learn new music.