Lesson Feesfrom $55.00 / 30 Minutes
BOOST YOUR CONFIDENCE AND SOUND AUTHENTIC IN ANY STYLE, ON ANY STAGE!
CLICK "BOOK A LESSON" AND CHOOSE THE 15 MINUTE OPTION FOR A FREE LESSON!
Are you overwhelmed by the task of learning to improvise over jazz standards? Do you dream of bringing down the house at the local jazz club, the coffee shop, your church, your next corporate party, or the concert hall?
Are you tired of hearing about all the scales and theory you need to learn before you can jump in and play jazz standards? Do you ever think, "There has to be an easier and more satisfying way to learn jazz?" There is!
Hello, my name is Tom Catanzaro and I am passionate about helping serious players with 2 or more years of experience become master improvisers by learning the way all the best players learn...by playing regularly with the most experienced players and analyzing jazz standards in real time.
Jazz is a language, and it takes more than information to learn the nuances of speaking a language. You need to be able to imitate someone else's playing in real time to become truly fluent. Enough endless preparation through etudes, method books, backing tracks, and learning patterns. The best way to learn is to jump in and start playing with a pro to guide you...one jazz standard at a time.
Not only will you become a master improviser, you will also build a huge repertoire of the best known songs so you will be prepared for any stage you choose!
I have played professionally for over 25 years performing every style from Dixieland, Big Band, and Hard Bop to Gospel, Rock, and Hip Hop. And I have played with and learned from some of the best - people like Roy Hargrove, Bob Mintzer, Christian McBride, Robert Glasper, and Ambrose Akinmusire to name a few. And I would love to share with you the best shortcuts and tricks I learned by playing with them so you can boost your confidence and find your authentic sound.
Schedule a FREE 15 minute improv lesson with me and let's jump into a tune you are already working on. See you in my virtual studio!
NOT JUST SCALES AND CHORDS - LEARN JAZZ LANGUAGE BY PLAYING TUNES!
The best way to learn to improvise is by playing the best known jazz standards. Each tune will be a vehicle to teach you more improv language, since the main goal of improvisation is to compliment and embellish melody in a way that enhances the experience of hearing the song. So there is no need to spend months learning complex chords and scales before you can dive in - you can start making music IMMEDIATELY! And have a lot of fun in the process. What you will learn:
- Killer melodic lines and maneuvers you can use over and over again
- The most common chord progressions used in hundreds of jazz standards
- The best shortcuts to analyzing harmony and chord progressions so you don't get lost in the chord changes any more
- The most colorful notes to play on each song to give your playing that authentic, modern edge
BOOK A FREE 15-MIN LESSON!
- Graduated from Hemet High School (Hemet, Ca) in 2002
- Won the 2000 LA Music Center Spotlight Awards in Jazz Instrumental Category
- Played/recorded for LA Music Center from 2000-2002
- Attended Manhattan School of Music on full scholarship 2002-2004
- Freelance musician and private teacher since 2005
- Toured with the Clayton Hamilton Jazz Orchestra in 2005
- Performed with Diana Krall, Al Jereau, George Benson, Liza Minnelli, Christian McBride, and many more
Depending on your playing goals, we may use supplemental resources to improve reading and technique. But we will use jazz real books extensively since much of the improv language is embedded in the melodies of jazz standards. We can also start with famous blues or pop melodies!