Podcast Recommendations?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Claire Cunningham
ModeratorInstructor
Podcast Recommendations?

Lessonface is going to be launching a podcast in January 2019, and so we've been trying to listen to a bunch. Does anyone have favorites to recommend?

I've enjoyed diving into Song Exploder and Ologies (I especially like the one on Sports & Anxiety).

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

I've recently been enjoying By The Book and What Should I Read Next, and I've listened Planet Money for years.  Someone else just recommended Song Exploder, I'll have to check it out!

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

That's so cool that Lessonface is going to have a podcast, by the way.  I can't wait to hear it!

Claire Cunningham
ModeratorInstructor

Our new podcast is now out! The first one we've posted is with Alex Skolnick, being interviewed by Ray Suhy, from the Face the Music interview from the fall. There will be another episode out this week.

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

What a fun interview with demonstrations!  I like how Alex talks about working on some technical difficulties and then demonstrates exactly how and why improving those techniques was useful.  Ray mentions that he doesn't just use those sorts of techniques for the sake of using them, rather for a musical purpose.  Around 7:15, Alex demonstrates using a sweep to emphasize the first note of a melodic idea.  

I also love that quote at the end, regarding falling into the trap of 'doing what you're supposed to be doing and playing what you think you're supposed to be playing'. Alex emphasizes 'you really can't lose if you just focus on what you like to do'.  

Claire Cunningham
ModeratorInstructor

Here's the next podcast, a condensed edit from our fall conversations! Julie Landsman, interviewed by me! Julie is a powerful force and it was a pleasure to have her at the Lessonface studio.

Loading cart contents...
Load contents