Flamenco Guitar: What Sparked Your Interest?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor
Flamenco Guitar: What Sparked Your Interest?

I'm always curious as to how my flamenco guitar students outside of Spain first heard the instrument.  Flamenco is ubiquitous in southern Spain, but outside of Spain people often confuse the Andalusian folk art with the long-legged pink bird.  I grew up in Richmond, Virginia, USA and didn't discover flamenco guitar myself until I was 23 years old.  I was just beginning my classical guitar studies.  My classical guitar instructor happened to play flamenco as well, and as soon as I heard it, I was hooked.  

How did you discover flamenco?  Was it a performance, class, or workshop?  Or an album or particular song?  How has your taste in flamenco music evolved as you have begun learning to play?  Do you enjoy listening to flamenco singing as well?  Do you watch youtube videos of flamenco dance performances?  

Michael Rodriguez
Michael Rodriguez

I am from New York. I grew up with out much exposure to Flamenco Music, but being Puerto Rican, I had exposure to the emotionally charged music of the island. So when I head Flamenco for the first time, it rang a bell inside me. It combined the passion of Latin music with the grace and melody of Continental Europe. I have also been impressed with such modern Flamenco inspired bands such as 'Ojo de Brujo'.  Although my schedule prohibits me from progressing quickly in learning Flamenco, I am a determined person and I will continue to stick with it, so that one day I can pass on what I learn to my children.

-Mike Rodriguez

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

That's awesome, thanks for sharing, Mike!   I love hearing about flamenco students' first encounters with the music.  It seems that flamenco often has that effect of instant attraction on those of us that love it.  

Loading cart contents...
Load contents