Flamenco Guitar: Flamenco Communities Near You

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor
Flamenco Guitar: Flamenco Communities Near You

While flamenco originated in the south of Spain, its interest has expanded all over the world during the last century.   Flamenco certainly continues to thrive in Andalusia, but the international interest in the music and dance been vital to flamenco's continued growth and expansion.  The student body of the flamenco school where I studied (the Fundación Cristina Heeren) is made up of about half Spanish students, and half foreigners like myself.  Performing flamenco artists often make the bulk of their living touring internationally, and the venues that host nightly performances in Seville are attended largely by flamenco-loving visitors.  

What part of the world are you learning flamenco from?  Is there a flamenco community where you live?  What concerts, workshops, and other flamenco happenings have come your way recently? 

There's a bustling flamenco community in Washington D.C. and an internationally-known annual flamenco festival in Albuquerque New Mexico.   Several of my current students live in or near San Francisco, which seems to have a vibrant and active flamenco community. 

Could some of my San Francisco students share a link or article of recent flamenco events?  

What about my students in Canada and Australia

I would be excited to hear from some of you : ) It would be really cool if some of my online students ran into each other in person at flamenco events in their home town. 

Cliff Clasen

I am in the SF Bay Area and attended an event with Juan Del Gastor back in July.  It was put on by Bay Area Flamenco and was very entertaining!  Their 14th annual Flamenco Festival is in Feb and I have tickets to see Nazaret Reyes on Feb 2nd.   Should be a great time!

Have also wanted to check out The Flamenco Room at the Thirsty Bear in SF.  Apparently they have Flamenco every Sunday night.

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

That's awesome, thanks for sharing Cliff.  It looks like the Bay Area Flamenco Festival has a pretty impressive history. 

What luck to live in a city with a venue with a weekly flamenco performance!

Anthony Garza
Anthony Garza

I don't  of any flamenco  events that  have ever been to  my home town  of Bakersfield  Ca , but definitely  drive to the Bay area or Los Angeles  area to attend  flamenco  festival. 

Lou DeGregorio
Lou DeGregorio

Seattle and Portland have Flamenco events, however like everything it was prior to Covid.  For me in central Oregon, there isn't anything, so traveling somewhere is mandatory.  Looking forward to things opening again.

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

Seville's community has been very quiet lately too.  However, as of tomorrow our curfew will be extended to 11pm instead of 10pm, and restaurants/bars can stay open til 10:30.   Previously, non-essential businesses were closing at 6pm, which made most sorts of performances impossible.  

Hopefully things are starting to bounce back in a more permanent way here (and everywhere)!  

Loading cart contents...
Load contents