Music gear: portable amplification for city-dwellers

1 post / 0 new
Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor
Music gear: portable amplification for city-dwellers

I’m curious how other city-dwellers who rely on public transport bring their equipment from place to place.  When I lived in Virginia, I got around by car and it was no problem to make a couple trips to load up for a gig.  Living in in the center of Seville, Spain, though, owning a car is more trouble than it’s worth. Most places I ever need to go are within a 30-minute walk. For rainy days or longer distances, public transportation is very dependable.

As a flamenco and classical guitarist, most of my concert/recital-style shows (that is, with actively-listening audiences) are acoustic.  But when I play any sort of private event as background music (dinner parties, receptions, etc.) it sure helps to amplify. I don’t need much equipment -- just an amp, mic, mic stand, and guitar.  Still, it’s a lot to carry for even a moderate walk or bus trip.

If you live in a city without a car, how do you make it work?  Do you select your gear to suit your transportation situation? Do you opt for taking a taxi or other hired car when you have a gig that requires a lot of gear?  Have you found any amazing gear that is both portable and ideal for your sound needs? Or do you feel that portability almost always demands a sacrifice in sound?  

Loading cart contents...
Load contents