Music Theory for Guitarists - Winter 2022

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor
Music Theory for Guitarists - Winter 2022

Hi students of Music Theory for Guitarists!  

I'm  happy to be guiding you as you get to know your fretboard and the theory behind music.  I'm starting this forum thread for questions, comments, and discussion between classes.  You all have had some excellent questions and comments so far.  I'm going to share them here.  

1.  Gökhan shared an insight on the first lesson regarding the intervals between the strings.  Here it is in case it helps some of you: 

While I was doing the homework from last week, I realized that there are certain amount of increments (quantity of half steps) between strings for the same musical letter. I am not a fan of memorizing but if for only in this case one can memorize the  increment between each string, then one can easily jump from one string to another for the same string. As seen from the attachment, if we take for instance G on string 1 is at Fret 3, then the increment between String 2 is +5 * 1/2 steps meaning G on String 2 would be at  Fret 8. Likewise Fret 12 on String 3, Fret 5 on String 4, Fret 10 on String 5.

The increment applies the other way when you start from String 6 and go below to String 1: That's why there is + and - changes depending on which direction you are moving on the strings.

2.  One student wanted to inform me "When we got to the last part of the last exercise (playing Amazing Grace, etc)  I was a little lost.  You were calling out fret and string numbers, but I couldn't find those fast enough and figure out which fingers to use to keep up. "

In response, I want to emphasize that if an exercise feels over your head, then please leave it be for now.   I offer a variety of guitar-in-hand exercises specifically because we have students of varying guitar backgrounds in this class.  Learning theory early on in your guitar playing is great, and I want everyone to get the easier exercises.   I also offer trickier exercises for those who have more experience playing and perhaps already know some theory.  It's up to you to find your 'sweet spot' in the exercises.  Focus on the ones that challenge you and make you think a bit, but don't tie your brain (or fingers) in knots trying to decipher something that you're not quite ready yet.   Harder does not mean better - what's best is knowing where you're at and where to patiently focus your efforts. 

3. One student comments "I am not sure what fingers to be using when playing a natural scale.  Do I just base it on chromatic and always use finger 1-4 of fret 1-4?, etc  Or, for example, if I am playing the first A on the third string do I start with the index finger on fret 2 (this is what I have been doing)?  Also, based  on the method I've been using (one finger for each natural note), there are times where it is easier to use the pinky (when the pinky is C or F - one fret apart) and more difficult if it is two frets down."

My answer: There are often multiple logical options for left hand fingers.   Following the chromatic scale might not always be the best option, although it could lead to some good fingerings by chance.  I'll outline some guidelines. 

First, you need to know what the positions are.  When your finger 1 is assigned fret 1, finger 2 fret 2, finger 3 fret 3, finger 4 fret 4, that's called 1st postion, or open position.  When you're one fret higher and finger 1 is on fret 2, finger 2 fret 3, etc, that's 2nd position.  If finger 1 is on fret 5, finger 2 fret 6, that's 5th position.  

Second, here are the two main guidelines: 

(1) Stay in a single position unless you have a reason to change.  That is, don't just slide finger 1 along the fretboard and play every note with one finger.  

(2) When you do change positions, be able to say why you need to do so, and try to do so with a graceful movement and logical fingering choice.  

Example:  if you're playing a natural scale on string 1, you'd probably play F with 1, G with 3.  Then you need to change positions.  

LOGICAL AND EFFICIENT CHANGE: Change by bringing finger 1 to fret 5 (position 5)- then you'll play A with finger 1, B with 3, C with 4.  Then change positions again, to 10th position, play D with 1, E with 3.  

INEFFICIENT POSITION CHANGE: Slide finger 3 to fret 5 (3rd postion).  Then randomly stretch your pinky to B (4th position).  Then use finger 1 for C, 3 for D (8th position), and pinky for E (position 9)   .  That's much more position changes than necessary, and is not an efficient fingering.  

Hope these explanations are helpful!  Happy to go over any of them in class (particularly the 3rd!) if the verbal explanation isn't enough.  

Finally, if anyone is interested in browsing discussions of former iterations of Music Theory For Guitarists, check out this forum thread: 

https://www.lessonface.com/forums/guitar/112275-music-theory-guitarists-discussion-and-qa  (It got pretty lengthy, which is why I started this new one, but there's lots of good info there if you have time).  

Please share your thoughts, comments, and further questions by posting in this thread.  **The very first time you post in the forum, I'll need to approve your post (I check daily).  After that, all subsequent posts will appear immediately.**

Eric J Fritsch
Eric J Fritsch

Hello Leah and everybody! On Monday nights I join via Zoom with a few guitarists who, like me, are trying to get over the anxiety of performance. I was trying to think of something short and sweet for my performance and decided to play Guajira. Some mistakes were made but I kept going and I think I was able to convey the vibrant mood of the piece.

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

This is terrific, thanks so much for sharing Eric!  That's great that you already feel comfortable enough with Guajira.  The more experience you get sharing your music, the more you'll be able to enjoy it and play your best.  I agree  you convey the mood of the piece very nicely.  

One question though, I wonder if you meant to share this in the flamenco class discussion here?  https://www.lessonface.com/forums/group-class-hubs/121299-exploring-flamenco-farruca-and-guajira-class-discussion#comment-2102

Feel free to post it over there too if you'd like the flamenco class to see it :) 

Leah

Eric J Fritsch
Eric J Fritsch

Thanks Leah, yes, I meant to post it in the flamenco class forum. I'll post it there now ?Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Lessonface Date: 2/5/22 5:19 AM (GMT-05:00) To: ericncharlotte@verizon.net Subject: New Thread/Post Notification: Group Class Hubs

Email: jess@lessonface.comPhone: 800-211-7058

Loading cart contents...
Load contents