Choosing Strings for your Classical or Flamenco Guitar

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor
Choosing Strings for your Classical or Flamenco Guitar

A lot of students new to nylon strings wonder how to choose the best strings for their guitar.  This is a great question, because it can make a big difference in the sound and playability of your instrument.  New players should note that there is no one right kind of string for all guitars. Every guitar is different, and even two factory-made guitars of the same model will be made of different cuts of wood.  It will take some time and exploration to discover the best strings for your guitar. The most important things to consider as you investigate are material and tension.

Tension

Before you start experimenting with this, investigate the recommended tension for your guitar.   Some guitars can’t handle high tension, and using them may warp the wood and permanently damage the instrument.  You won’t hurt your guitar by using lower tension than recommended.

Low tension strings are the easiest to play, and will be the most gentle on your guitar.  If you play an older instrument that you want to last a long time, low tension strings are the way to go.  The downsides are that they are quieter and more likely to buzz against the frets.

High tension strings will give you a lot of volume.  They are also a bit harder to play, but if you’re coming from steel strings, that probably won’t be an issue.  In classical guitar, I find that I enjoy the volume of high tension strings, but the offer less tonal variety than lower tension strings, so it’s definitely a trade-off.

Medium tension strings are a great place to start if you’re not sure what you like.  They balance the tone and playability of lower tension strings with the volume that you get from higher tension strings.  

Material  

It’s obvious from the beginning that your bass strings and treble strings are made of different material.  Bass strings usually have a nylon or composite core wrapped with either silver or bronze. Silver-wrapped strings produce a warmer sound.  Bronze-wrapped strings have a brighter sound with more sustain.

Treble strings can be made of clear nylon, black nylon, titanium, and carbon fiber.  You can also find third strings made of a composite material, which helps ease the transition between strong, bright basses and more mellow trebles.  Clear nylon is the most common treble string material, and is a good, neutral place to start. Carbon fiber strings can give your guitar a boost in volume.  And titanium strings can help smooth the sharp contrast between the bass and treble strings. This diagram nicely illustrates the differences, pros, and cons in treble string materials.  

As you're trying out various string options, consider the natural sound qualities of your instrument  Some guitars, due to their wood and construction, sound very dark and warm. Others naturally sound very bright and loud.  If you want to emphasize the natural sound of your guitar, choose strings that match its tendencies. If you want to brighten up a dark-sounding guitar or mellow out a very bright guitar, choose strings with contrasting sound qualities.  The right string can depend on the environment you usually play in, too. If you mostly play for yourself, you can choose the string with the sound you like best, period. If you plan on performing, you’ll need to consider how well the strings project the sound.

Strings bought in a store are usually sold in a complete pack of six and don’t let mix and match treble and bass materials.  But you can still pay attention to the sounds of the different materials to get a sense of what you like. When you’ve developed preferences, online stores like Strings By Mail give you the option of buying treble and bass sets of different varieties.  

Getting Started

I recommend starting with a medium tension, neutral-sounding string to start, and to explore from there.   D’Addario Pro Arte Medium Tension Nylon Strings are reliable and very popular.  You'll find them in any music store, and you may even come back to them after a lot of exploration.  That’s ultimately what I decided works best for my first classical guitar (a student model Yamaha guitar).  

For my flamenco guitar (made by Virginia luthier Tom Rodriguez), I used D’Addario Flamenco Strings for the last few years and enjoyed them.  Recently a music store gave me a few samples and I got the urge to experiment again.  First I tried out a set of medium-tension strings, and they were a terrible fit for my guitar.  I usually keep strings on my guitar until they start to wear out even if they’re not my favorite.  But that pack I had to take off a week later. They were hard to tune and just didn’t sound right.  Then I tried out my other 'free sample', which was a set of Hannabach High Tension Nylon Strings.   I love them even more than the flamenco strings I'd been using for the past few years.  The Hannabachs really bring out the bright flamenco qualities of my guitar, which are important for accompanying dance.  They are also easier to tune than other varieties I’ve tried.  It goes to show that exploration process doesn’t necessarily have an ending point. It’s great to find something you like, but you can always explore further and maybe find something that suits you even better.

What strings work best with your guitar and why?  Did it take you a long time to find them? Some guitars are very easy-going and sound great with many kinds of strings.  Others are a bit more difficult and may demand a longer exploration process. What is your guitar’s natural sound like? Dark, bright, soft, loud?  Do you prefer strings that bring out its natural qualities or balance it out a bit more? How many varieties have you tried? Do you prefer one brand of strings over others?    

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

One more note  for newcomers to nylon strings.  It might be obvious, but never, ever put steel strings on a nylon string guitar.  Steel strings put far more tension on the instrument than even the highest tension nylon strings.  Classical and flamenco guitars are just not built for that, and you can permanently warp the wood or damage other parts of the guitar. 

William Timothy (Tim) Mathews
William Timothy (Tim) Mathews

Hi, Leah.  Well, currently I enjoy Aquilla's medium tension Alabastro strings on both my Cedar top and my Spruce top guitars.  They are some kind of a nylon blend duplication of the old time "cat gut" strings that guitarists had to use up until the modern era of nylon.  I like them because of their "buttery smooth" quality.  But, I am holding in my hand a set of Dogal Diamante strings which I will try on my cedar top when the current set wears out.  They tout "special fibers" used to enhance the multi-wire bass strings, and a blend of nylon and carbon in the trebles.  I am a little excited to try these out.  Now if only my set of Aquilla's would just wear out a little faster... Hmm, maybe I need to practice a little more.  

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

That's really interesting, thanks for sharing Tim!  I've never tried the brand Aquila before, I'm curious about the 'buttery smooth' quality you describe.   I'll have to do some more experimenting next time I buy strings for my classical guitar.  Let me know how the Dogals work out when you're able to try them!

Loading cart contents...
Load contents