Top 5+5: Five Foundational Tunes For Bluegrass Banjo (and Modern Variations!)

1 post / 0 new
Chris Roszell
Instructor
Top 5+5: Five Foundational Tunes For Bluegrass Banjo (and Modern Variations!)

Hey Banjo Pickers,

You're in need of some more banjo in your life. I understand. Luckily, I've got just the thing for you! The following is a list of five songs that every bluegrass banjo player should know backwards and forwards, AND able to comfortably jam along with. It may sound far-fetched after listening to these recordings, but all of these songs can (and should!) be learned within the first year of picking up the banjo. Granted, the speed likely won't be up to Earl's pace, but the tone, rhythm and feel are certainly attainable for a burgeoning banjo picker.

The first of each pair of recordings are classics in bluegrass banjo catalog (note the heavy presence of Earl Scruggs). Along with each classic recording is a modern interpretation of the same song by some of the more modern greats of the banjo-verse.

1.  Cripple Creek  by Earl Scruggs

Cripple Creek is often the first song a bluegrass banjo player learns. Fundamental, but brilliant in it's simplicity!

In the following recording, listen to Bela Fleck take Cripple Creek in a million creative directions:

Cripple Creek played by Bela Fleck

2. Foggy Mountain Breakdown by Earl Scruggs

Though originally recorded in 1949, this song was a pop-culture hit and rocketed the banjo's popularity with its appearance in the original 1967 "Bonnie and Clyde" film. The opening lick, the "Foggy Mountain Breakdown Lick" is ubiquitous in bluegrass banjo playing.

Here, you can see this young band of hot pickers, Section House, play an interpretation of this tune in a minor key:

Foggy Mountain Breakdown by Section House (Corey Walker is the banjo player)

3. Foggy Mountain Special by Earl Scruggs

This tune shows some of the versatility innate in bluegrass banjo picking as Earl plays a swingy, bluesy number. Note that here, he's playing  more of a single-string style.

The following recording is one of my favorites - Bela Fleck playing Foggy Mountain Special in a double banjo duet arrangement with Earl.  The blend of Earl's traditional and Bela's cutting edge banjo styles is a delight for the ears!

Foggy Mountain Special by Bela Fleck

4. Clinch Mountain Backstep by Ralph Stanley

Though he is now best known for his vocal work on the "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" soundtrack,Ralph Stanley was a great banjo player. This tune epitomizes the mountain modal sound (aka "dirty") in bluegrass banjo.

Clinch Mountain Backstep by Scott Vestal

5. Dueling Banjos by Eric Weissberg

It's amazing how many professional banjo players cite this tune as the main influence that drew them to the banjo. Always a fun listen.

Of all the modern interpretations I have posted here, this version of Dueling Banjos is probably my favorite. The Kruger Brothers take this simple bluegrass tune around the world, to outer space, and back.

Dueling Banjos by The Kruger Brothers (Jens Kruger is the banjo player)

Are there any cornerstones of bluegrass banjo playing that I left off this list? Any modern interpretations of these 5 tunes you think the world needs to hear? Let me know!

Enjoy,

Chris Roszell

Loading cart contents...
Load contents