What do I choose?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Henry White
What do I choose?

Hi there! My name is Henry. I'm the lead vocalist in a band with a couple friends, but I have a dilemma. I can't play any instruments. You might think this isn't a big deal, since I already have an important position as the singer, but I think it's a problem. Not being able to play anything in a band that currently only has 3 members seems like an issue to me. Not only would it kinda look awkward to be standing there idly at live performances (if/when we get to that stage), but it also greatly hinders the musical depth we can achieve as a band. So, what do you think I should learn? I tried to start learning banjo, but I quickly realized I don't currently have the attention span or knowledge of music theory to learn an instrument like banjo, guitar, or piano. This is a problem, I know. The other two members can play drums/all manner of percussion and guitar/piano, respectively. So I have no idea what instrument would both add a helpful layer to our sound, and be easy enough for a layman like me to learn. Thanks for reading, hope you can help :)

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

Hi Henry, some students find that the ukulele is a nice starter instrument.  I'm not sure if that would fit your band's sound but it's an idea.   You should re-consider the guitar or possible other stringed instrument (banjo or mandolin?) that you could use just for chords and strumming.  It's true that those instruments can be very complex, but they don't have to be, nor do you need to know music theory to play a few chords and strum.  Likewise, you might consider the bass.  You could add a layer of sound with some sparse, simple lines. 

Hope that helps.

Leah

Ammon Swinbank
Instructor

Leah's ideas are great.  I would add that you might check out the harmonica, and possibly some egg shakers.  I know your band mates can already play percussion, but being able to play the shakers while they are doing other things will help you stay involved and fill out the sound.  I think if you have a banjo/ukelele, a couple harmonicas, and maybe the shakers, and you keep everything simple, you will be pleased with the results.  Also, as far as the attention span goes, it's not well known among beginners that developing focus/attention is a skill that has to be learned and is in fact part of learning the instrument itself.  The mind is a muscle, and has to be trained.  Start with baby steps.  Seriously.  And don't feel bad.  If you can only focus on an instrument for 15 minutes a day that's OKAY.  15 minutes a day is far more effective than 3 hours one day a week.  And as you progress, you can gradually increase to 20 minutes, then 30, and so on as you feel more comfortable.  And one more thing: look up the Pomodoro Technique .  It's a fantastic tool for developing focus and productivity.

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

I like how you talk about focus here Ammon!  It's so true that focus and practice habits need to be learned and develop.  And the sort of focus music demands can be different from other tasks, which can surprise  adults who know perfectly well how to focus in other areas of their life. I think I'd heard of the pomodoro technique, but it was good to have a refresher with the video.  I'll try it myself -- I could benefit from defining time intervals more clearly, and remember it for students.  

Lou DeGregorio
Lou DeGregorio

Harmonica is a good start, alot of different venues can be played depending on your bands sound.  Blues, country, rock.  They also come in different keys so you develop quite a range of songs to accompany the band or help embelish a song

Loading cart contents...
Load contents