ChatGPT... cheating for songwriting?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gabe Giacomo
Gabe Giacomo
ChatGPT... cheating for songwriting?

The title may be a little bit troll-ish (in a good way?) but I've been writing/recording/mixing my own songs for a few years now, and I just recently started using AI software to get past the "blank page" syndrome - getting the first words on page.  ChatGPT or a similar AI program, when prompted with any length of request, will give a full song with associated chords in a matter of seconds... and they're usually not half bad.

My question to the masses:  What is everyone's opionion on leveraging AI to write songs?

Caveat/side note - I tend to take the provided lyrics (I don't really use the chords, as they turn out pretty boring) and heavily modify them to better meet the "mood" of the song, so it really does become my voice coming through.

David Jerkovic
Instructor

Honestly, I don't like the purist takes on AI and helping tools. I say this as a person who spent more than 20 years learning the "hard" way, before all the helping tools arrived. 

Dissing anything innovative, designed to help is counterproductive. Music has always been evolving, not necessarily to everyone's liking, but it is always changing. Yeah, things have become a lot easier, with new plugins and helping tools - from AI mastering to Chord suggestion vsts etc. 

I think it's all subjective. 

If you like it and it works for you - go for it. ChatGPT can produce very useful stuff as well as complete trash. 
Like you, I don't like using all of it unedited, nor do I feel well using something I didn't create - it just removes the emotion from making music for me, which I really need. But do I think it's wrong to use all of it? Hell no. Music is supposed to be fun, people should have fun with it. A lot of technological advancements made it easier for people to be musicians, and musicians are very mad about this, but I see it as a good thing. No matter the skill, people can now get connected a lot more easily with music since it's more available to less talented people now, and I never got why that is a bad thing. 

Loading cart contents...
Load contents