Reflections on Rebecca Foon Interview and on knowing the story behind a song

1 post / 0 new
Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor
Reflections on Rebecca Foon Interview and on knowing the story behind a song

Lessonface has been hosting a really cool series featuring interviews and conversations with accomplished music artists and educators.  If you haven’t checked it out, you can subscribe to see them live or watch them afterwards on Lessonface’s youtube channel.  

Last week’s interview was with cellist and composer Rebecca Foon.  I already posted some reflections on how she uses meditation in her musical journey.  

Rebecca Foon also talked about her second album, which she said is about climate change.  Rebecca loves music and the environment, and she uses her music to express her love for the environment and promote action.  I loved both pieces she played on this interview (one to introduce, one to close), and knowing the story and purpose behind her writing made me enjoy it even more.  

We don’t always get to hear the story behind an album or song, but there always is one.  Sometimes the backstory is deep and purposeful, like Rebecca’s second album. Other times songs happen by accident -- a bassline comes in a dream, words insert themselves naturally over a melody or rhythm, band members improvise and can’t even pinpoint when a song began to take shape.  The Podcast Song Exploder interviewed Colin Meloy of the Decemberists, who explained how the song ‘Once In My Life’ basically wrote itself.  

Sometimes, listeners interpret music how they want to hear it regardless of the composer’s intentions.  For example, Bob Dylan didn’t set out with a political agenda, but his music served the civil rights movement and he got swept up in activism through music.

In classical music studies, understanding a musical era is essential to interpreting a piece with historical correctness.  Likewise, researching the life of a composer whose music you are playing is required ‘homework’. Can any classical music teachers and students elaborate on how this knowledge shapes your interpretation?  

In general, how does knowing the story or purpose (if there is one) of music change how you view the song?  Do you like to read about your favorite songs and artists, or do you just care about the music?

Have you ever liked a song initially, only to dig deeper and discover that the lyrics to express ideas that you strongly disagree with?  Can you enjoy music even if it’s intentions rub you the wrong way?

Have you ever felt pretty neutral about an artist, only to discover that you share a common cause or belief, and begun to like their music just because of that?  

Of course this was just one small angle that the interview with Rebecca Foon explored.  Any other thoughts or responses to the conversation?

Loading cart contents...
Load contents