Practice problems, solutions and suggestions

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fiona Richards
Instructor
Practice problems, solutions and suggestions

Hi! Here are some of my thoughts on practice which come from my own experience and from helping my students. I think practising is a very individual thing and each person needs to explore a bit to find what suits them best and be free to be flexible from day to day. Anyway here are some common practice problems and I hope you might have fun with my suggestions!

1. Wandering concentration  

~ if possible find the best time of day when you feel alert and calm

~ be clear - Decide how long to practise for, what you’re going to practise and  what you want to improve

~ Try to stick to the plan!

~ divide your practice up into sections eg. 10 minute chunk for each piece

~ Having a goal like a performance coming up can focus the mind 

2. Lack of inspiration?       

~ have a chunk of practice time when you don’t worry about playing everything correctly….let your imagination go wild for a bit!

~ try experimenting with different sounds - what is possible on your instrument?

~ put your instrument down and sing the music, mime playing it, or even dance to it!

~ try some improvisation (can be simple as simple as you like - even on one note)

3. Feeling stuck/tired/aches and pains/discomfort 

~ put the instrument down

~ listen to a recording or read about the music you are playing

~ take a short break, refresh and continue  ~ lie on the floor with your knees bent and some books under your head, allow some of the      tension to let go

~ never keep push yourself if you are in pain

4. Stuck on one difficult bit? 

~ try to simplify as much as possible

~ don't keep going over and over on autopilot!

~ slow it right down, maybe use a metronome

~ how many ways can you invent to practise it?

~ if you’re brave, try recording or filming yourself for extra feedback 

Good luck! And happy practising…

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

Hi Fiona, these are terrific suggestions to common practice problems.  I can learn from them myself, not to mention my students.  I will pass them on, thank you for sharing!

Leah

Fiona Richards
Instructor

Hi Leah,

You are welcome :) So glad it's helpful!

Fiona 

Loading cart contents...
Load contents