Loog Level Zero - Class Discussion

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor
Loog Level Zero - Class Discussion

Hi parents of Loog guitarists!  

It was great to meet everyone last night in Loog Guitar for New Musicians (Level Zero), and I'm looking forward to teaching your children in the coming weeks :)  

I'd love to get a class discussion going here.  Please comment on how last night's class went for your child.  Did they successfully tune their guitar?   Or perhaps need a little help?  How did they do with .  Feel free to ask any questions you might have about Loog guitars, practice habits, and learning music in general.  

If you (the parent) consent and your child is excited about it, you're welcome to post videos of your children playing class material in this forum and I'll comment on them.  If you prefer a private medium, send me them by private message.  (Sharing videos is completely optional, just offering it in case any students want to!)  

Finally, as food for thought, I'll leave you with these three articles on how to help your child make the most out of this class (and all future classes and lessons!)

Developing Joy in Music Lessons for Children 

Encouraging Your Aspiring Young Professional 

Nurturing Your Child's Motivation for Music Lessons

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and talking with all of you :)

Best,

Leah

PS - the first time you post to the forum, Lessonface will need to approve it (to prevent spam), so it won't show up right away.  After your intital post, all future posts will appear immediately.  

Julian Maynor

My son loved the class Leah! He's almost 6 years old and has only played around with his Loog since Christmas on the Loog app. But he was able to keep up and it challenged him. He loved the lesson and is excited to  practice the lesson and learn more in coming weeks. Great class! Tuning went well and we got a free app on my phone to help. Jessica and Julian 

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

Hi Jessica and Julian, that's terrific :)  So glad to hear that Julian enjoyed the class and found it at an appropriate level.  Happy to have him in class, and thanks for checking in!

Leah

Carrie Barrios

Hi Leah,

We've been really impressed with the material and structure of the classes.  As an adult with no music knowledge I have particularly appreciated the introduction into notes, chords, and beats.  I recently took a private Loog class series to learn to play along with Addison and notes/chords were never directly introduced so it really confused and slowed me down for the first couple lessons.  Addison has a weekly music class at school and I was happy to hear during this mornings class she already has been exposed to notes.

Addison gets quite antsy around the 30 min mark and I think a five minute movement break where she can step away from the screen and get her wiggles out would really help her attention span for the second half of class.

Thank you!  
Carrie

Aiden

I agree a movement break would be really helpful for Aiden as well. Great idea!

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

Thanks so much for the feedback!  Carrie I'm really glad to know that you're finding the curriculm satisfying.  That's one of my goals for this course!

And yes, I thought to do a movement in the first class but it just didn't occur to me in the 2nd.  I will absolutely work that in and make movement a habit.  

I'm wondering if for future classes, 30 minute classes would be best.  

I thought I would have the class very clearly segmented into 'for students' and 'for parents' but it's turning out that where parents need/want to be involved (for younger kids or just because they want to be present), I think you guys are there for the whole class anyway.

30 minutes would mean we cover the material slightly more slowly, but at this point in music education, I think enjoying is the priority rather than learning lots of material quickly.  

On the other hand, a longer class lets us both cover plenty of material AND let students take turns playing and interact.  

Thoughts, parents (and students)? 

I really appreciate the feedback!

Leah

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

Hi Loog Students and Parents!  A couple of you have asked where to find the videos of past classes to review, or to watch if you miss a class.  

1. Find your list of group classes.  You can find then under the 'Classes and Events' section of your dashboard, which lists all classes and events (past and upcoming).  Or you can find them on our Loog class page, https://www.lessonface.com/content/loog-guitar-new-musicians-loog-level-zero, which lists only the classes in this series.  

2. Click on the Loog class with the date you want to see.  A new window will pop up, and at the bottom of the text class description, there is a link to the video in green.  

Check out the video demo below. 

Hope this helps!

Leah

Julian Maynor

We love the class as-is with 50 minute length. The wiggle break is good but not necessary for my 5 year old. He loves to just keep playing the music which he can do on wiggle breaks. He's having a blast and loving it. Great class! 

Sharon Selvig

Hello! 

I asked both girls their thoughts on length. My 7 year old preferred a shorter 30 min class to just go over material, and my 6 year old said she loved the class length as it is now!

The both really enjoy the lesson, and can keep up with the material. Instruction is very clear and they look forward to their lesson every week!

Yelena Hagooli

Simon has liked the class so far and we think 50 minutes is a great length (with or without wiggle break). He has a been practicing during the week and that helps him learn and keep up during the lesson. He's looking forward to the classes. Thank you!

Lindsey Ames

Esther is 5 and seems to lose steam at 30min even with a wiggle break. For us, a 30min total class with less calling on individual students would likely be best! The pacing in terms of the curriculum is great - she's getting it and learning something new each time. Thanks!

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone!  The responses both here and via messages were pretty evenly mixed, but I did get some good suggestions , so here's the plan:  

This particular course we will stay 50 minutes (that's what put on the initial description, and I don't want to cut short what everyone signed up for).  But I will segment it more distinctly, and the students who struggle with length can leave at 30 if they need.   So, learning material for 30 minutes.  Playing and student interaction for 20.  

Those who don't want to play in class can send me a video of their playing the songs between classes via Lessonface Message, and I'll send written feedback.  That way I can make sure everyone is following.

I think for future courses I'll make classes 30minutes and ask that students send videos between classes so that everyone gets individual feedback.  

Thanks again for all your input!  I'm enjoying teaching your kids and looking forward to more :)

Leah

Loading cart contents...
Load contents