Fingernail Basics

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor
Fingernail Basics

Many new guitarists are surprised to learn how important right-hand fingernails can be to our sound and technique.  

For steel string guitarists, whether or not to use the right-hand nails is a personal choice.  It depends on the style you play, the sound you prefer, and what comes most easily to you.  Players who mostly use a pick have no need for nails.  Most fingerstyle guitarists like having right-hand nails, because it helps get more volume out of the guitar.   Some fingerstyle players prefer to use fingerpicks (made of plastic or metal) rather than grow out their nails.  

In classical guitar and flamenco guitar, right-hand nails are almost an absolute necessity.   The guitar is a quiet instrument to begin with, and it's almost impossible to get the volume we need using just the pad of our finger.  In flamenco guitar, fingernails are so essential to accompanying dance that we reinforce our nails with glue, hardener, or even professional lacquer. 

When you're just starting out in classical or flamenco, I recommend letting your nails grow 1-2 millimeters beyond the flesh of your finger.  You can see this best when viewing the nail from the palm-side of your hand.  Use a file and round the nail to match the contour of your finger.  Smooth over any points, angles, or edges.  Use a buffer to polish the nails after you shape them.   That helps with the sound, and also helps prevent snagging or splitting.

Learning what nail shape works best for you is a long process that requires a lot of trial and error.  It helps a lot to listen to others' advice, and your teacher will surely have plenty.  But ultimately it's up to you to experiment and find what works for you.

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

Does any more tips for new guitarists who are just starting to experiment with their right-nails?  

Also, do other guitarists have any favorite products for strengthening or reinforcing nails?  

I'm personally really lucky to have strong natural nails.  However, playing regularly for flamenco dance wears down even the healthiest nails, and I have to reinforce them with Krazy Glue (it sounds absurd I know, but almost every flamenco player does something like this to their nails!).  I put just a thin strip of glue so that it covers the white of my nail and extends to maybe 1/3rd of the pink, so that my nails can breathe and grow.   This would probably be overkill for guitarists who don't play for dance, but it's invaluable for my work.  The particular brand I like isn't available in Spain (where I live) but it's so important to my playing that I stock up every time I go back home to USA. 

I'd be curious what nail products other professionals consider 'essential' to their work...  Does anyone prefer using artificial nails?  

Lou DeGregorio
Lou DeGregorio

Hi Leah, in the past I could use my natural nails on my right hand and that worked when I was younger.  However now it seems my nails are thinner and more brittle so I decided to go to artificial nails.  I've heard pros and cons and read both on the internet and from pro's about acrylic, gel, temporary nails for practice that you can take on and off .  So my question is what method to use?  I'm experimenting with Gel nails right now, these feel very natural and seem to reinforce your natural nail..the cost is cheap for one hand, less than $20.  They do add thickness to your nail and remain flexible.  I was steered away from acrylic nails, I was told they tear up your natural nail and if you pop the nail it pulls your natural nail with it, yikes......so I was scared out of it.  The nail tech told me she had a guitar player with gel nails and extension for longer tips, but they came off in a week.  I'm not sure how well the gel nail will hold up, practicing 2 hrs per day in flamenco style.  Wondering if anyone has any ideas if this doesn't work.  

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

Hi Lou, I think the question of what method to use will depend on your experimentation and personal taste as far as sound goes.  It takes a lot of experimenting!  I tried artificial nails early on in my playing (more out of curiosity than necessity), and didn't like anything I tried.  From what I remember, I have heard of players who use gel nails.  But that does sound a bit pricey to only last one week.  

If the gel nails don't work out for you, you might look into ways of reinforcing your natural nails.  This is the more common route for professional flamenco guitarists.  I just use krazy glue, and in really peak seasons I've also put a thin strip of reinforcing fabric on the top 3rd of the nail (it's a pain to put on, I only do that when absolutely necessary like if a nail has a tear and I need to get through a few shows). 

Some flamenco guitarists I know use a combination of glue (like krazy glue) and some kind of strengthening powder (maybe acrylic or porcelain, but I'm really not sure).  I'll ask what that powder is next time I'm around flamenco guitar colleagues and get back to you.

Are there any other guitarists (students/teachers) at Lessonface who reinforce nails or use artificial ones?  

Lou DeGregorio
Lou DeGregorio

Is the fabric you're using to reinforce the nail silk with super glue?  

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

Hi Lou, I have used the nail silk before and liked it.  But at the moment I don't have it available, so even though I said fabric because that's ideal, what I've used more recently is a strip of thin paper.  It works well enough!  But the nail silk is better if you can find it. 

Gabriele Cento
Instructor

Hi,

The fingernail's deal it's so serious indeed

I have mine reconstructed every month, and I've been doing lots of research on the materials and the shapes. I have a very good technician she takes care of every detail, and today I'm very happy of the results. I just have to stay patience for doing this every month and once in a while dealing with gluing and filing

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

Thanks Gabriele!  Can you tell us any more about the materials used?  

Gabriele Cento
Instructor

Well, to make a long story short, here's the main differences

Acrylic VS Gel

The former is quite rigid, the nails look like glass providing a very powerful sound. The best thing to do is to dry the nails via UV rays, which act as catalyst. Because of the rigidity they tend to rise or break more easily, anyways with a good maintenance they can last for 1 month or more. During the re-contruction always wear a mask until the process is done, or keep the windows opened; acrylic it's somehow toxic and the formula includes the amine which is very volatile,the smell it's not pleasent at all, it can make a room unlivable in few minutes.

The latter is more flexible, the nails have a more plastic "ish" look and the sound is more natural. The catalyzer for this polymer is the oxygen, so they can be dryied at the air. They last a lot! Gel re-construction is the favourite technique among the nylon strings players I know.

I've been making endless tests with both before ending up picking the acrylic for the sound I like. There's one more thing I'd like to try though, the "Acrigel" which is supposed to have the best of both worlds; we'll see!

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

This is really helpful Gabriele, thanks for sharing!  I'll send students to this post when they ask, my first-hand experience is limited, so glad to have a reliable reference. 

Loading cart contents...
Load contents