Flamenco Guitar: Recommended Listening

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor
Flamenco Guitar: Recommended Listening

Listening is an essential part of learning all styles of music, but I find it's especially critical to beginning flamenco guitarists.  Most students learning flamenco outside of Spain did not grow up listening to the music.  They need to listen extensively to understand the musical context of what they're learning, and to understand the artistic and aesthetic ideals of the genre.  Make sure to broaden your flamenco exposure to include singing (cante) and dance (baile) - not just guitar!  All three components are essential to flamenco

If you know you love flamenco, but aren't sure where to start listening,  check out this Youtube playlist I put together for beginning students. It features four common flamenco palos (musical styles) that I often start with: Solea, Alegrias, Tarantos, and Bulerias por Solea. Some videos are solo guitar themes, others also feature cante  and baile).

Below are some flamenco guitarists that will help you get started exploring, too. When we start learning flamenco, we usually begin with more traditional guitar repertoire. Firstly, because it tends to be technically and musically simpler. Secondly, because it's important to understand the roots of flamenco in order to interpret modern material. Listen to all eras of flamenco music, just keep in mind that it's the earlier players whose sound you'll be emulating during your first couple years of study.

1. Paco de Lucia (1947 - 2014)

2. Sabicas (1912 - 1990)

3. Rafael Riqueni (b. 1962)

4. Moraito Chico (1956 - 2011)

5. Paco Peña (b. 1942)

6. Diego del Gastor (1908-1973)

7. Niño Ricardo (1904 - 1972)

8. Paco Cepero (b. 1942)

9. Manolo Sanlucar (b. 1943)

10. Gerardo Nuñez (b. 1961)

11. Tomatito (b. 1958)

12. Vicente Amigo (b. 1967)

What are some of your favorite flamenco albums or artists?  Was there a certain album, piece, or artist that sparked your initial interest in the genre?  If you first heard flamenco cante (singing) a bit later on in your studies, what were your first impressions?  Do you like flamenco singing?   Are you interested in accompanying flamenco singing or dance one day, or do you prefer the flamenco guitar as a solo instrument?

Cliff Clasen

My favorite "Sabicas: The Greatest Flamenco Guitarist" - Fantastic raw flamenco guitar!   Now, if I could just play and sound like him....haha

https://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Flamenco-Guitarist-Sabicas/dp/B0001XAME0

Loading cart contents...
Load contents