Can freezing temperatures and/or high elevation damage an acoustic guitar?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
lukahils2
Can freezing temperatures and/or high elevation damage an acoustic guitar?

As the title states, I'm a little concerned about whether or not I should bring the nicer of my two acoustic guitars on a camping/road trip with me. Beyond the obvious worry of someone smashing my window and stealing it, I'm a bit worried about accidentally damaging my Taylor by bringing it from a warm, humid climate (SE Texas) to Colorado. We're planning on camping in some areas that are high elevation, below freezing at night, and much drier than the climate at home. Am I being paranoid or should I legitimately leave it at home?

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

Hi, I'd definitely advise against bringing your nicer guitar with you.  Below freezing temperatures and dry climate do not treat guitars kindly.  I'd bring a 'beater' or  'battle guitar' if you have one, and store it in its case with a humidifier when you're not playing it.

Hope this helps!
Leah

Brad Ward
Instructor

Yes, I agree with Leah.  Take the beater guitar with you and also prepare to tune it more than you usually need to.  Dry cold air (and hot/humid temps for that matter) can wreak havoc on your tuning.  I just noticed I may be a little late on this post, sorry :-)

Gabriele Cento
Instructor

Hi All,

definitely agree wih Leah and Brad. Get yourself a road-ready guitar, save the Taylor and have fun! :) 

Loading cart contents...
Load contents