Exploring Flamenco: Fandangos and Tarantos - Class Discussion

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor
Exploring Flamenco: Fandangos and Tarantos - Class Discussion

Hi everyone! 

Our next flamenco group class begins September 19th, and we'll be exploring the two very different palos Fandangos de Huelva and Tarantos.  Fandangos de Huelva is a breezy, fun palo from the coastal city of Huelva.  Tarantos is a serious palo from the mining regions of Spain with a deep, haunting feel.  Learning two contrasting pieces of music at the same time is a great way to broaden your technical abilities and interpretive skills.  I'm posting videos of each palo below so you can get a feel for what they sound like.  

You can enroll in the course here: lessonface.com/fandangos-tarantos

We'll use this forum as our class discussion during the course, but feel free to get a head start and ask or comment anything you'd like : )  

Looking forward to teaching you all this fall!

Leah   

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

Hi everyone! 

Tomorrow we'll learn a couple falsetas for Fandangos de Huelva.  We'll learn a very basic version and ways to make it more complex for more experienced players. 

Check out these Fandangos recordings by flamenco guitar masters Sabicas and Manolo Sanlucar to warm up your ears for the palo:

Sabicas: 

Manolo Sanlucar Fandangos de Onuba: 

Both are pretty traditional, so will hopefully sound similar to the sort of material you'll be playing.  

I'll post some recommended listening here every week, so please bookmark this thread or check 'subscribe' at the top (the star that says 'click to subscribe')

See you tomorrow!

Leah

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

Hi all!   I thought it'd be useful to share another few videos as we wrap up the course and start arranging your repertoire into solos.  It's not too late to get a discussion going if anyone cares to jump in :)  

Tarantos

Here's modern version of the escobilla melody that stays pretty true to what we learned in class for the first few phrases: 

Here's a couple modern, faster versions quite fast version of the traditional escobilla melody: 

Fandangos

Paco de Lucia 'Aires Choquero' 

Rafael Riqueni Fandangos de Huelva 

If you listen closely, I think you'll find some familiar material in these solos.  

One final request, I'd love it if each of you could record a brief (1-2minute) video of whatever falseta or excercise you've enjoyed playing most in this course.  Doesn't have to be perfect, you just need to enjoy it :)  

See you all Sunday!

Eric J Fritsch
Eric J Fritsch

I really enjoyed learning to play this little Fandangos Falseta!

Forum Admin

Terrific, thanks for sharing Eric!

Chris Sapone

I've worked on the tarantos escobilla from last week

Gökhan Aslanoglu

Hi Leah,

I am sharing here as well my first recording. Looooong way to go:)

Best

Gökhan

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

Hi Eric, Chris, and Gökhan!  Thank you all so much for sharing these videos :)  They sound terrific, you're all really getting the hang of these palos :)

Leah

Eric J Fritsch
Eric J Fritsch

Thanks Leah for a great class!Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Lessonface Date: 11/23/21 11:45 AM (GMT-05:00) To: ericncharlotte@verizon.net Subject: New Thread/Post Notification: Guitar

Email: jess@lessonface.comPhone: 800-211-7058

Jack Baumann

Still needs a lot work

Jack

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

Hi Jack, thanks for sharing :)  So glad to have you in class!

Leah

Loading cart contents...
Load contents