Drop D Capo !

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Drop D Capo !

Hey everyone! Wanted to share a quick little blurb about the Drop D capo and why it's so cool :) 

Reasons to use a Drop D capo:
-Lets you play a D chord with all 6 strings (and other chords too!) instead of the usual 4 strings.
-Allows for more color and variation in the sounds of chords, brings a more open sound, which creates different emotional tones for songwriting.
-More easy options for pedal bass notes. D G/D C/D etc.
-It’s an easier way to play ‘Drop D’ w/o having to re-tune your strings. Comes in handy when on stage, helps to create a more seamless performance.
-Can help inspire different ideas for new songs and helps expand your creativity for different possibilities on the guitar.

About capos and what the Drop D capo does:
-A normal capo covers all 6 strings. Placing the capo on different frets allows you to easily transpose to other keys, while still being able to play familiar chord positions.
-A drop D capo only covers 5 strings, the A D G B and high E strings, and leaves the low E string open. It’s also the same tuning pattern, as ‘Drop D’ tuning, where the low E string is tuned to a D. (D A D G B E) Except instead with the Drop D Capo, we are in the key of E.

After adding the Drop D capo to the 2nd fret, the tuning is now:
E B E A C F#   vs. the standard ‘drop d’ tuning:
D A D G B E     vs. the standard tuning:
E A D G B E

Notice how the A, D, G, B, and E strings moved up one whole step to B, E, A, C, and F# from the standard tuning. It recreates the Drop D tuning pattern, except 1 whole step higher. The open low E string is now acting like the D in the drop D tuning. This is what the drop D capo does. You don’t have to retune the low E string to get the ‘drop D’ sound.

In addition to this, you can also place the Drop D capo on different frets and explore other 6 string chord shapes. You can also turn the Drop D capo the other way around, so that the high E string is left open instead of the low E string, and get some interesting chords and colors that way too. 

Have you ever used a drop D capo?  What's your experience been like? Have you ever tried putting it on other frets besides fret 2?

(PS I'll be sharing more about all this on Sat. April 2nd (2022) during my Drop D Capo workshop! If you are interested, shoot me a message and let me know!)

Tyson Farmer
Instructor

I've never used such a creature, but it sounds like a pretty interesting gadget to have in a guitar case! A cousin to this that I have on one of my electric guitars is a Drop D tuner. It allows you to be in standard tuning, but when you flip a little lever on the side of the low E tuning machine, it instantly pops that string down to drop D! It's super fun to play with, and really useful if you find yourself going back and forth between both tunings a lot.

An example on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Hipshot-GT2-Electric-Xtender-Chrome/dp/B0018SW8KI/ref=sr_1_21?keywords=drop%2Bd%2Bguitar&sr=8-21&th=1

Tyson Farmer
www.lessonface.com/TysonFarmer

Loading cart contents...
Load contents