Musical resolutions for 2019 Smart Goals defined & setting them

1 post / 0 new
Tim Bischof
Instructor
Musical resolutions for 2019 Smart Goals defined & setting them

What's interesting is back in 1981 according to Wikipedia SMART was an acronym for 

• Specific – target a specific area for improvement.
  • Measurable – quantify or at least suggest an indicator of progress.
  • Assignable – specify who will do it.
  • Realistic – state what results can realistically be achieved, given available resources.
  • Time-related – specify when the result(s) can be achieved.

Now they are termed as such. Specific, Measurable, Assignable, Relevant & Time-Bound

Specific - being strategic.

Measurable - quantify or suggest an indicator of progress & to include what motivating factors to achieve this,

Achievable - agreed, attainable, action-oriented, ambitious, aligned with goals, agreed, attainable and achievable.

Relevant - realistic, resourced, reasonable, realistic and resourced, results-based

Time-Bound - trackable, time-based, time limited, time/cost limited, timely, time-sensitive, timeframe, testable

For me as a guitar teacher I give all my students a smart practice goal sheet.

For myself my goal is for each of my students to learn a new song they enjoy to play.

So for this example my smart goal we will use my name Tim as the student who needs help in playing an entire song they like from start to finish.

We will say that Tim has basic knowledge of reading tab, strumming chords and playing single note melodies, & wants to play a song in 30 days.  So we write down their smart goal being. If it's January 1st that on January 31st Tim will play the entire song Peaceful Easy Feeling rhythm only by the Eagles. On their sheet I would make a chart for Tim to track, what day Tim practiced & how many minutes & how many bars He did for his homework & if Tim had trouble what bar He had trouble on & to write down questions to be addressed for the next lesson. Tim practiced to help Tim practice a minimum of 7 days a week for 30 minutes a day. We would start out by buying the Peaceful Easy Feeling song either reading sheet music or guitar tab, whichever is easiest for Tim. We would work on how the left hand forms the notes and chords among other things, and the right hand is all about rhythm & how it never stops. It's our time keeper, & how to sync them together. We would talk about working with a metronome & playing in the pocket. We then would define what chords are in the song, what strumming techniques are used and most important how to make smooth chord transitions. I would constantly each week go through 1 bar at a time in the music to see where Tim was & divide how many bars total in the song by 30 days & assign Tim 25% of those per week & make our lesson time more frequent or longer to make sure Tim was on track for Tim to complete his goal. 

Loading cart contents...
Load contents