Rachel's Top 10 Trumpet Recordings You Should Know!

1 post / 0 new
Rachel Bearinger
Rachel's Top 10 Trumpet Recordings You Should Know!

There are so many recordings of great trumpet music available. With YouTube, you can explore awesome recordings of trumpet music, including early classical, jazz, and contemporary styles. A list of all of my favorites would be much too long, but here are ten trumpet recordings that I think every trumpet player should know, plus a few honorable mentions. Click the title to listen to the recordings on YouTube!

1. Maurice Andre - Haydn Trumpet Concerto

Haydn's Trumpet Concerto is one of the most famous pieces ever written for trumpet and orchestra. It was written for the keyed trumpet, the first of its kind that was able to produce chromatic notes instead of only notes in the harmonic series. Maurice Andre performs the piece with a full orchestra in this recording.

2. Timofei Dokschitzer - Arutiunian Trumpet Concerto

The Trumpet Concerto by Alexander Arutiunian, an Armenian composer, is a favorite of hopeful trumpet players auditioning at the Juilliard School. It is a delightfully flashy piece with lovely, rich melodies for the trumpet player. In this recording, Timofei Dokschitzer performs the concerto with the Orchestra of USSR Bolshoi Theatre.

3. Louis Armstrong - West End Blues

I'm sure you've heard the name Louis Armstrong. On West End Blues, Louis plays a lovely melody and improvises over top with the trumpet as well as with his voice, using a method called scatting. His sound is one that is imitated by many jazz trumpeters today.

4. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (full album)

Miles Davis is another name that is strongly associated with the trumpet. His career spanned over several decades, and he was an innovator in the jazz music world. His trumpet playing is very different from Louis Armstrong's, but is still very recognizable. Kind of Blue from 1959 remains the top-selling jazz album of all time.

5. Tine Thing Helseth - Hummel Trumpet Concerto

The Hummel Trumpet Concerto is another standard in the classical trumpet repertoire. Norwegian trumpeter Tine Thing Helseth performs it here with the Norwegian Chamber Orchestra. It was originally written for trumpet in E, but many performers choose to play it in Eb instead. This is so that it can be easily played on an Eb trumpet, which is similar to the standard Bb trumpet but is slightly smaller and has less length in tubing.

6. Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine

My Funny Valentine was written for the musical Babes in Arms in 1937. Since its debut, it has been performed by 600 artists and has become a jazz standard. One of the definitive recordings was done by trumpeter/vocalist Chet Baker. He recorded two versions: one with trumpet and one with voice. This is his trumpet recording, but check out his vocal performance, too!

7. Alison Balsom - Georges Enescu's Legende

This is my absolute favorite piece for trumpet and piano. Romanian composer Georges Enescu wrote an incredibly dramatic piece that tells an exciting story. It is best to listen and interpret it yourself! Another thing to listen for is the change of trumpet tone and color at the end of the piece due to the use of a straight mute. Alison Balsom is an English trumpet soloist whose technique is virtually flawless.

8. Roy Hargrove - Earfood (full album)

Roy Hargrove was a jazz trumpeter who unfortunately died this past November at age 49. His quintet's 2008 album Earfood is a fabulous example of modern jazz. His trumpet sound is unmistakable, and a great listen to boot.

9. Tom Hooten - Honegger's Intrada

Arthur Honegger's Intrada is another exciting piece for trumpet and piano. What I find most impressive about this recording is the flawless intonation that Tom Hooten is able to maintain in the high register of the instrument. Hooten is currently principal trumpet for the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra.

10. Clifford Brown and Max Roach - Joy Spring

Clifford Brown is known for spontaneously creating improvised jazz solos that are incredibly complex and difficult to transcribe, yet tasteful. Joy Spring's primary melody is well-known in the jazz world. You will hear different instruments play solos in this recording, but pay particular attention to Clifford's!

Here are a few honorable mentions, for good measure:

Christian Scott - Stretch Music (Mr. Scott also happens to offer trumpet lessons on LessonFace!)

Snarky Puppy - Shofukan

Tine Thing Helseth - In The Bleak Midwinter

Loading cart contents...
Load contents