Practical Bass Rhythm Workshop

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Yonit Spiegelman
Yonit Spiegelman
Practical Bass Rhythm Workshop

Hey everyone! 

Feel free to chat about things related (and unrelated) to the class here :)

Can also post questions here during the week! 

Best,

Yonit

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

Hi everybody!! Hope everyone had a good weekend!!

Haha breaking the ice here lol

Someone mentioned Bernard in class I didnt write down the last name, also any does anyone have a specific song from Him? 

Thank you!!

Montez Teferi

Maybe we can go over Treasure. I am having a little trouble reading it. I keep jumping around...Thanks

Jerry Gips

Hi Carmen. I'm always curious to know where my classmates are located and how long they have been playing. I'm in Bergen County, New Jersey (Northrn NJ) and have been playing for two years.

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

Hi Jerry! Yeah it's cool to know where everyone is from! I'm from Lancaster California my bass story it's a little complicated to explain, but I'll try to share a short version of it. Haha

I started playing the bass at 16, the little bit that I know was self-taught. I've been playing with my Dad in a small family band that we had and continue to play to this day. I've always played with him old Christian hymns and would sometimes played them at our church. That is something that I still LOVE doing!! The songs that we've played are very special to me.  =]

This workshop is my first bass class. In the pass I've never really seen the bass as I do now!! So it's been a process for me. I would only play by ear and really basic stuff. I believe there's a time and purpose for everything so I'm very grateful to be part of this class and to have Yonit as my teacher. 

Technically I'm kind of starting from square 1. I need to learn my fret board, shapes, techniques, chords, theory, how to read etc. I look forward to it all now!! =]

I play other instruments but that's another story, they are all at a beginning level too, so I'm happy to get help with that here at Lessonface when the time comes=].  The instrument that recently picked up is the drums, and I love playing them but it's a lot of weight on your shoulders I have a long way to go before I can be a good drummer, but I'll get there!!!

Good luck on the class final I look forward to hearing everyone!! This is going to be really challenging for me but I'll do the best that I can and improve from there!! =]

Roger Ellero
Roger Ellero

My work hours have changed, and so I can't attend the classes "live" any more - but I have enjoyed watching the replays. Yonit is such an awesome instructor! And I am enjoying watching everyone's playing get a little bit better each week.  :)

Yonit's final assignment charts out to this:

[[{"fid":"63499","view_mode":"teaser","fields":{},"type":"media","field_deltas":{"1":{}},"attributes":{"class":"media-element file-teaser","data-delta":"1"}}]]

Hopefully this chart makes sense.  The slashes are "hash marks" and they represent one beat (or quarter note each).

The A and G could be substituted with A7 and G7 , as Yonit said in the lesson.

A chord is the notes:    A  C#  E

G chord is the notes: G   B   D

A7 chord is the notes:   A   C#  E  G

G7 chord is the notes:   G   B    D   F

And of course, as our awesome instructor said... takes chances and borrow/use many other ideas! We are all in this together to learn new things and try new things.

I am going to try to record my version and upload it here, if I can. If that doesn't work I'll email the video link to Yonit.

Good luck everyone!

Roger Ellero
Roger Ellero

My work hours have changed, and so I can't attend the classes "live" any more - but I have enjoyed watching the replays. Yonit is such an awesome instructor! And I am enjoying watching everyone's playing get a little bit better each week.  :)

Yonit's final assignment charts out to this:

[[{"fid":"63500","view_mode":"teaser","fields":{},"type":"media","field_deltas":{"1":{}},"attributes":{"class":"media-element file-teaser","data-delta":"1"}}]]

Hopefully this chart makes sense.  The slashes are "hash marks" and they represent one beat (or quarter note each).

The A and G could be substituted with A7 and G7 , as Yonit said in the lesson.

A chord is the notes:    A  C#  E

G chord is the notes: G   B   D

A7 chord is the notes:   A   C#  E  G

G7 chord is the notes:   G   B    D   F

And of course, as our awesome instructor said... takes chances and borrow/use many other ideas! We are all in this together to learn new things and try new things.

I am going to try to record my version and upload it here, if I can. If that doesn't work I'll email the video link to Yonit.

Good luck everyone!

Montez Teferi

Thanks so much for going over the chords Roger. That will help me quite a bit !

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

Thank you Roger!!!=]

That really helps!! Thank you for sharing this!!!

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

Hi everyone!! If anyone is trying to write the final on a music sheet, I found noteflight online. I'm new to it so I hope I have enough time to figure it out to write something on there for the final. What BPM are you guys using? 

Roger Ellero
Roger Ellero

I had a hard time coming up with a part for this. In the end, I borrowed from the Beatles "Two Of Us" - it felt like an upbeat major key bass line that would fit Yonit's backing track reasonably well. 

This isn't enough to fill up the whole track, just an idea of what I wanted to do.

There are some great players in class and no doubt you guys are gonna come up with some really good lines. :)

[[{"fid":"63858","view_mode":"teaser","fields":{},"type":"media","field_deltas":{"1":{}},"attributes":{"class":"media-element file-teaser","data-delta":"1"}}]]

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

Hey Roger! I looked up the song thanks for sharing, 

I found it easy to just listen to the track and jam to it with the rhythms and do some video recordings and one audio recording without the track with just rhythms that I remembered. That's what I have so far (haha) I'm running out of time and I'm not young anymore so all-nighters are not an option here lol jk that might happen. Once you do that then you can see what rhythms worked when in the track and what you want to use. But I would suggest taking some time to just enjoy the track for a bit 1:30 go by really fast. Then I'm pretty sure you'll be able to add to what you have. The approach I'm taking is not so much a bassline but to present the some of the rhythms we have covered.  For me with more time later on I will be able to focus on creating a bassline.  

Also some 16th notes are great fillers the    e + a     e + a  Also I used a pick so that added to the fun lol remember that we can use the techniques she showed us like the harmonics, I plan to add that in the beginning in 1st or 2nd bar. At some point on the track I added a bit of Stand by Me  lol. Also I listen to the bridge in dreams and begining of Otherside that helped. Also you dont have to play every beat throw some rests here and there lol I  think its in the video Yonit linked or it might be another video by Yogev where he sas that"silence is music too"haha

*I focused on listening to the guitar  on the track that was kind of mellow for me and I really liked that. It was a good guide or its like a conversation you can answer back to what its playing. 

Right now I dont know if I'll have enough time to write something down, (it was not required to write it down) I think I'm just  too ambitious for the beginning level that I am currently in. But I'll be okay. 

Try to look at the tabs Yonit has in the music sheet if you noticed the some of the tabs look like quarter notes 8th notes and 16th notes. I still dont know how to read tabs, I will look into that the week we have in between workshops. But in the past when I would look for guitar chords I didnt like tabs but now with the way they are presented I'm more open to them.  It's cool that you are using them.=]

You'll do great!!! I'll be happy to listen to what you come up with, everyone here is very supportive!!!! 

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

Also ideas from Diggin' on James Brown, borrowing from there fit the track well too.?

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

Hi, does anyone know close to what BPM is the track?

Richard Smith
Richard Smith

Hi everyone. Hi from the UK. I have thoroughly enjoyed the 8 lessons. Here is my assignment https://youtu.be/7WQCJDuWS9c My son (who is a drummer) suggested a couple of rests which really helped me. See you all later this evening.

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

That's awesome thank you for sharing the link Richard I can hear it better on youtube!!! I liked the rests they worked also the open E string towards the end!!!!=] 

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

Hey Roger what BPM did you use for your final??? =]

Roger Ellero
Roger Ellero

Hi Carmen, I have a metronome built into my little amplifier that just has a "tap" feature - so I tapped it at a rate that I was comfortable with. Sorry I don't know the BPM. :)

In the lessons I've had with her so far, Yonit typically recommends around 85 for general practice.

Richard Smith
Richard Smith

Thanks Carmen, that is so kind.... I have found the whole group to be so encouraging and I love it that we are all spread around the world. I have loved all the lessons and been so impressed with Yonit's teaching and enthusiasm. I thought the final challenge was a great idea ansd I loved the range of ideas that came out of the backing track. I am going to sign up for the next course because it sounds GREAT.... I am keen to work more on triplets and improve my understanding of reggae and shuffle within blues. All the very best from the UK. Richard

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

oh okay, great!! Thank you!!!?☺

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

Yeah I look forward to some of the classical music she mention for the next workshop and learning the different time signatures!! 

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

Hey guys!

I wanted to share an honorable mention since we're all bass players here haha this instrument is the "mexican bass" haha called the GUITARRÓN usually played exclusively in the Mexican Mariachi Music. I don't play the guitarrón but my favorite Mariachi Duet is Dueto Moreno. I grew up listening to their album "Para no volver" . From that Album you can hear the guitarrón really well in this song. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFoD_OhU9qs  It helps if you use headphones to hear the guitarrón better.

Here's an explanation of the Guitarrón 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvmvZN9uwmo  

I'm very picky about songs so it took me some time to find something that could elaborate more on the guitarrón, this is what I found. This song is called "Alma llanera" and these guys did a good job playing it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zf6TN8wErE  the song ends at 3:24 then he does a tutorial in Spanish.  (this is the mariachi style)

Although this song is played in mariachi music I don't like the mariachi version. (I think this song is originally from Venezuela). This is the version that I liked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gb5L5cgsiI

In my opinion this ensemble did a good job. I like the maracas throughout the song. haha

I'm picky with lyrics too so the song goes on without lyrics until 1:48 then the lyrics come in, the singers do a great job though.  

Hope this was something new and you took something from it =] Have a good weekend!!!

If you know of any other special instruments from other countries let me know!! 

Other:

Non-music related I recently started watching "The World's Toughest Race" . I'm on episode 3. It's similar to "The Amazing Race" haha but harder. From what I've seen so far it's all very inspiring and it is led by Bear Grylls!! 

Jerry Gips

Carmen. Finally had a chance to listen and it's superb. I like the
original but the arrangement, instrumentation and vocals on your preferred
version are fantastic. I can't really figure out the time signature on the
original but I'm guessing the second one is in 6/8, though honestly I
have trouble if anything strays from 4/4 or 3/4. I recently watched the
excellent documentary on Linda Ronstadt so have begun listening to her
mariachi music. Hope you are well

Best regards,

Jerry Gips

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 11:40 PM Lessonface wrote:

> [image: Lessonface.com]
> Email:
> jess@lessonface.com
> Phone: 800-211-7058
>
>

Dylan Johnson
Instructor

Make sure to change your metronome settings even if you are trying to play at that tempo.  Getting used to the mini variations of playing up or down  1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 BPM away from the general feel you are going for makes a huge difference in your time confidence!

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

Hey Jerry!

Thank you for taking the time to listen to it! By original you mean this link? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zf6TN8wErE  if so I think the guy does a tutorial and towards the end and you can see the music sheet better it has 3/4. I just know 4/4 but I look forward to see how Yonit is going to explain and teach us about the time signatures. 

You found a gem of a voice, she's actually more famous than I thought haha She's even won National Medal of Arts by President Barack Obama.

I did know about her but only thru searching for mariachi songs a while back and found the album "canciones de mi padre"

As beautiful mariachi music can be I must say that secular mariachi music can be very melancholic and depressing. For example one song that I like when I was searching for mariachi music was "La cigarra" that's probably a song that led me to find Linda Ronstandt. I even would sing it, haha I searched the lyrics on google translate yesterday and I was like woah, I know there are worst songs but I was pretty surprised that sometimes we dont analyze and think how deep some of the songs we like  can be because the music is catchy and well put. ("worst" meaning topics like death, suicide, depression, brokenness, sorrow, hopelessness, darkness etc.) Usually mariachi music would be played in cantinas (bars) or the the more upbeat songs would be for fiestas del pueblo "town festivals" In my opinion, the breakdown of secular mariachi music would be 65% sad, heartbroken, depressing 10% romantic and 25% upbeat songs.

The 25% percent upbeat music songs for fiestas del pueblo are also used to dance a specific Mexican dance called folklorico. You can probably youbute that in the song "Guadalajara" or "El Jarabe Tapatio"

In elementary I used to be in a mariachi music group that's how I got to appreciate mariachi music too. I played the violin there for like two years. The main instruments of the mariachi are: guitar, violin, trumpet, guitarron, vihuela and sometimes you'll see the harp.  =]

Anyways hope you find the positive of mariachi music and enjoy that, thank you for sharing and bringing up Linda Ronstadt!! Have a good weekend!! 

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

Listening to old radio music=] Here it is but I think it is all 4/4 haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8VoUYtx0kw Mandisa "Overcomer" 2013

dc Talk "In the light" 1995

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQoK_ryT3uc&list=RDcNqhZ9N3EQw&index=25 Toby Mac "me without you" 2012

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

Listening to old radio music=] Here it is but I think it is all 4/4 haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8VoUYtx0kw Mandisa "Overcomer" 2013

dc Talk "In the light" 1995

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQoK_ryT3uc&list=RDcNqhZ9N3EQw&index=25 Toby Mac "me without you" 2012

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

Hello everyone! Wanted to share this video I found when I searched for the song "Autumn Leaves" , enjoy. thank you to all the street performers that have brought a smile to my face   =] 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t3xBqAWLaU                                 

There's also another performer that I saw not to long ago on youtube he's a drummer "the bucket boy" Matthew Pretty

and the last one if you search for flashmob pirates of the carabean in vietnam  there's an orchestra performing on the street too!!!=]

Anyways have a good week!!!! 

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

I cant spell  sorry just search for [FLASHMOB] Pirates of the Caribbean - 

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

I cant spell  sorry just search for [FLASHMOB] Pirates of the Caribbean - 

Carmen Rocha
Carmen Rocha

Hello everybody!!

Does anyone know more polyrhythmic songs?

Also I'm very happy to have found a song to review some of the rhythms we learned in the practical rhythm workshop. 

Here it is it's the second song it'll start at 1:35 if you fast forward!

:) Enjoy the last week of 2020!!!

Loading cart contents...
Load contents