Music and Multitasking.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor
Music and Multitasking.

Do you practice guitar while watching tv?  Or do you swear by complete silence and isolation?  I’m surprised by the different views that students, and even teachers, can have on this subject

My view is that multitasking is overrated and often extolled as a virtue or skill when, in fact, fundamentally impossible and attempting it only slows what we’re trying to accomplish.  What’s led me to this view is a combination of both personal experience (trying to do multiple things at once stresses me out and slows me down) and most sources I’ve read or heard on the subject.  For example, The Myth of Multitasking, Why Humans Are So Bad at Multitasking, and this Psychology Today Post.  

A few months ago I tried polishing a piece while playing a nature documentary on silent in the background.  My practice came to an abrupt halt when a baby antelope was swept up in a suspenseful chase and, unfortunately, met a violent end.  In hindsight, a nature documentary might not have been the best choice for a practice backdrop. But it does show that even when we think something is in the background, it has the potential to subconsciously seep into our focus.  I can’t remember at what point in my practice I started caring more about the animal’s fate than what I was playing, but I was probably playing for at least a couple minutes without any attention to my hands or music. Any musician knows the dangers of playing an instrument on autopilot Errors and bad habits creep in and become things we have to go back and fix later.  

However, I have musician colleagues and have had guitarist housemates in the past who swear by multitasking.  They say it’s not only possible, but productive. They relax by playing guitar while watching TV (even with the sound on, which I can’t imagine!), can go back and forth between social media and working out an idea they are composing.  They say it helps their ideas ‘simmer’ and that switching back and forth keeps them creative and alert. In one light, I might be able to see where they’re coming from, because I DO advocate short, concentrated practice sessions of 5-10 minutes… This article, The Curious Science of When Multitasking Works, offers a somewhat more flexible insight to multi-tasking, though it still doesn’t whole-heartedly recommend it.

What do other teachers and students think?  I’d be curious to hear from both sides. Even though my reading supports my views, there could be some search bias on my part (maybe I subconsciously ignored the headlines proclaiming the intellectual superiority of multi-taskers!).  If you multitask while practicing, is there a certain kind of practice that works best for? Technique? Composing? Something else?

Lora
Instructor

I've also tried multitasking while practicing (although I've never tried a nature documentary!). I find it absolutely impossible to concentrate with something else going on in the background. Watching young students try to practice, I've noticed that the slightest things like loud siblings, doorbells, that tempting smartphone, can shatter their concentration. So I'm all for practicing without any distractions!

sheri musgrave
sheri musgrave

I like silence and privacy. Although in the summer I love to sit outside with birds singing and the creek flowing while I play. Even if it’s not the most productive practice, it’s wonderful. 

sheri musgrave
sheri musgrave

Lol. No matter what I do, I end up upside down in the profile photo. I’ve tried uploading right side up and even ones I rotated upside down! 

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor

Lora, I agree with you about younger students and distractions!  Phones are tricky for students of all ages.  A lot of us use practice aids that are apps, too.  I use a metronome, tuner, an audio recorder (both to record and study recordings), and sometimes recordings in spotify and itunes.  The metronome is a pretty important teaching tool for me too.  The do-not-disturb setting is a must for practicing, teaching, or taking a lesson.  You can set it so that important calls will sound if someone tries to reach you twice in a row.  For other messages, you still see the notifications as soon as you return to the home screen.   But you choose when you take a break to check in rather than having a notification distract you. 

Sheri, your upside-down dog photo is fun, even if unintentional :)  I agree that playing outside is really relaxing.  I enjoy it too.  Even though it's somewhat less productive, t's nice for work like maintaining repertoire and exploring new interpretations.  When we perform, we have to learn to ignore distractions, so playing in different environment can also be good training.  Even if not ideal for regular study.  

magesh magesh
Instructor

I've been teaching for nearly 30 years and could never understand how people could watch tv while practicing and instrument.  I was always super methodical about practicing my instrument (drums) and needed silence for my mind to understand a new pattern I was learning.  At the same time I know different brains learn in different ways. Also when I was a kid there was very few distractions like facebook, instagram and netflix.  The only thing that could distract me in my house was the encyclopedia Britannica  (for young people on this post they are the books that people read in a pre google world....).

Leah Kruszewski
ModeratorInstructor
Loading cart contents...
Load contents