Why is it important to learn music?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Connie P Blair
Why is it important to learn music?

Musical training helps develop language and reasoning: Students who have early musical training will develop the areas of the brain related to language and reasoning. ... Students learn to improve their work: Learning music promotes craftsmanship, and students learn to want to create good work instead of mediocre work.

[This artful comment originally contained spammy links. Removed links, keeping discussion. Sorry Connie. - CC]

Chris Merritt
Instructor

It is also important because it is something universal - it spans cultures, timelines, all kinds of things. It serves a both a common ground, while at the same time having such diversity that there is always something to learn or understand. Music (and art in general) is a very human thing, which is why it speaks to all peoples...and staying in touch with this throughout our lives whether it is listening to a record or being able to write a song as a cathartic outlet (something I am seeing picking up especially now)--is key for our overall well-being.

David Antonio
Instructor

Can also help with neuroplacticity and coordination in some cases, particularly special needs applications.  As far as singing  and familiar music goes it
can evoke memories and help with emotional states.   Even playing something simple can be useful as in playing a simple melody or rhythm and linking it
to ones breathing to calm the mind. 

Claire Cunningham
ModeratorInstructor

Your comments both remind me of this great read by Phillip Ball: https://www.nature.com/news/2010/100720/full/news.2010.362.html

Which contains nuggets like:

"Music should indeed be celebrated (and studied) as a gymnasium for the mind; but ultimately its value lies with the way it enriches, socializes and humanizes us qua music." -- That is, while there is plenty of evidence that music is good for brain development, dexterity, listening abilities, and more, we benefit from learning it the most because it's a joyful thing to do.

I love Ball's closing sentence, too: "Give us fine music, but rough music too. " Encouraging not only the most refined talents, but everyone to make music, just like pretty much everyone benefits from exercise, not just the Tom Bradys among us. And as someone who is not, myself, very gifted musically, but who has learned some basics (and always wants to learn more), there is nothing much more fun than jamming with family and friends, or more satisfying than playing a favorite song.

Loading cart contents...
Load contents