Hey Lessonfolks! Let's share our experiences.

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
T-Claw Crawford
Instructor
Hey Lessonfolks! Let's share our experiences.

Hello Participants and Instructors, 

I wanted to get this forum catalyzed so we have a place to share golden nuggets from our time spent in class for other folks to see.  Lots of groundbreaking concepts, community, process and product are happening as we have over 80 online folk schoolers active this month.  I've noticed that a class all shared stories about their past related to the class topic and created a collection.  I've heard class participants chiming in with historical anecdotes that enlighten the group and instructors.  I see classes wherein over half of you have never been to the folk school in person. It is so great to have people joining together in the spirit of noncompetitive adult learning from across the hemispheres.  I hope this forum's communal sharing opportunity can give a taste of what it is like to be learning and growing together as we do week after week on campus.  Think of this as a place to share things that we won't have enough time for at our group closing ceremonies. 

Share anything of interest, think stories, learning examples, pictures, videos, etc

For Example:

I've been popping in to all the classes at one time or another to offer support and see the beautiful groups we've assembled. One night when stopping by Aubrey Atwater's Freestyle Flatfoot Clogging class all three of my girls "hopped on board" for a few minutes. I believe I even captured our 9-month-old Sable's first attempt at clogging.  Thanks to Aubrey's class for welcoming a brief interruption from the next-gen. 

Take Care, and Holler if ya need anything,

T-Claw,

Music, Dance, Events, and Online Programs Coordinator

t-claw@folkschool,org

T-Claw Crawford
Instructor

I believe Freya was coming up to me to say "Clog Dada!"  A familiar phrase when she saws away her little fiddle and insists for "Dad, you clog!"

T-Claw Crawford
Instructor

Dada, you clog!

Cindy Alley

Vicki Hammond

cute! and nice clogging moves by all:)

Aubrey Atwater
Instructor

OMG so cute! I love the boards--I am thinking they are cutting boards, so clever! Speaking of which, my traveling board is part of our old kitchen counter. ;-) Thoroughly enjoying this class. Here is a document we all created with our dance stories, links, and photos. Enjoy!

T-Claw Crawford
Instructor

Some nice person associated with the Folk School Cloggers teams makes them for the members (kids size too!).  Someone used to make their costumes too, but I believe they are on the hunt for a new sewer. 

Aubrey Atwater
Instructor

Very cool!

Penny Morgan
Instructor

Bread bakers have been busy trying new recipes and learning new skills. This past class we did 4 recipes, Challah, focaccia, oatmeal and lemon bread.

Vicki Hammond

Pretty! love the flowers especially. Also like the masked off boxes to show the different techniques.  Good job! thanks for sharing ~Vicki

Vicki Hammond

Monday night and Tuesday day work 

Cindy Alley

Here is the fun I had in class and outside of class on Tuesday. I sure hope more people share! I love seeing what people are doing. What is out there besides watercolor and clogging?  Curious minds want to know! -- Cindy Alley from State College PA

Dana Wildsmith
Instructor

We're a writing class, so there are no fun dance videos to share, but this photo shows where we are centering oursleves-- in our writing place, trying  to find our creative voices after a deadening two years. The first prompt I offered has really resonated with this class, so here it is for anyone else who'd like to see where it leads you;

Tell about the dearest truth you have learned about yourself.  And "dearest" can mean most costly, or most cherished. Or both.

Dana Wildsmith

Cindy Alley

Boy, I can almost taste those through my computer screen!

Cindy Alley

Boy, I can almost taste those through my computer screen!

Cindy Alley

Todays endeavors. We worked with adding texture and masking. I didn't finish a lot, but I sure had fun!

Aubrey Atwater
Instructor

I love this writing class prompt--so poignant and profound, been thinking about it every since I read your post, Dana!

Penny Morgan
Instructor

My house still smells good from all of the baking.

T-Claw Crawford
Instructor

Can you tell me anything special about your cast iron cooling rack?

Brandy Clements
Instructor

The Chair Seat Weaving Class has been really fun! I've been impressed by the results of the Shaker Tape weaving projects. We started weaving with Splint Reed this week and will finish the morning after the "Closing Ceremony" so I don't have any of those photos to share, but here are some really cool Shaker Tape Chairs! For more info on chair seat weaving, contact the Folk School for their upcoming class schedule or you can take classes with us (Brandy & Dave at Silver River Center for Chair Caning) in Asheville. Learn more at www.SilverRiverChairs.com 

Rhona Scoville

Here are pictures of my work from Annie Pais's Composing Dynamic Watercolors class. First we take a picture of our subject, then draw it, seeking out the darkest and lightest areas and the shades in between. Then we do a monochromatic water color then finish with a full color. This is a picture of a church that is just a few blocks down the street from my house. 

T-Claw Crawford
Instructor

Wow! Impressive. They look so comfortable and inviting. You're next Folk School class is an entirely different style; chair caning.  https://classes.folkschool.org/class_details.aspx?pk=24728

T-Claw Crawford
Instructor

Cool Rhona! Thanks for sharing your process. 

Brandy Clements
Instructor

Yes, have a look at what the chair caning students last fall made happen in a week at the folk school!

Janet Cosby

I really enjoyed getting my feet wet  in the Composing Dynamic Watercolors class for the past 4 weeks.  Annie is a great teacher and I've truly learned a lot. I also enjoyed seeing and meeting other people on my very first zoom class! 

My photo, drawing, and painting is of a local working farm and dynamic colored barn on Old Blueridge Hwy. I drive by it often and it always evokes a sense of calmness, beauty and change of season for me. 

T-Claw Crawford
Instructor

Lovely,

Thanks for sharing. 

T-Claw

Loading cart contents...
Load contents