Bow for violin

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sarah Simmons
Bow for violin

Hi! 

I'm a beginner,so sorry if my question is dumb

My teacher told me that there are actually plenty of different bows and that I should pick wisely. I'm not well aware of brands, materials and etc. so your advice would be very helpful! 

Thanks in advance!

Pyunghwa Choi
Instructor

Hi, Sarah!

I would recommend a Jon Paul Carrera bow (carbon fiber). It might be a bit pricey for a beginner but if you are going to keep the bow for a long time and take care of the bow, it might be worth it. 
http://www.jonpaulbows.com/carrera.aspx
I think other Jon Paul bows are also alright. I would  call a few local violin shops to ask if they carry Jon Paul bows. If they do, I would try them out to see which ones you like the best. Usually, you can bring 1-3 bows from a shop to try for 7-10 days. I would take it to your teacher, if she or he lives near you, and let her or him try out. 

I thought a CodaBow Diamond SX is also quite fine. I think it is a bit stiff (compared to JonPaul Carrera) but for what is is worth, I think it's fine. 
https://www.codabow.com/collections/diamond-collection/products/diamond-sx
From my experience, I liked SX the best out of the Diamond collection. 

If you have more questions, feel free to contact me. 

Best, 

Pyunghwa

Ruthanne Neveu
Instructor

Hi, Sarah!

I sure do hope you have found a bow by now! You question is certainly valid--there are so many bows to choose from!

Pyunghwa had a few great recommendations. If this is your first  bow, it's important to make sure the quality is good. If you start off on something that is lower in quality, the sound and comfort qualities are also affected. Chances are, you chose to start playing the violin to have something fun to do--having a better quality instrument/bow will help tremendously.

There are several different types of bows. Typically, a wooden bow is widely used by professionals. Carbon Fiber bows are the next step down, followed by fiber glass and plastic bows that are used in schools. 

I have multiple Pernambucu (wood) bows, and absolutely love my Coda bow (carbon fiber)! I can't speak highly enough about Coda bows. They are a bit pricey, but will last a lifetime and have different levels of weight and flexibility for each of their bows.

If you have a violin shop near you, I recommend asking if they have any coda bows in stock for you to test out (if you've already purchased a bow, perhaps you'll consider a Coda Bow when you're ready for an upgrade).

I hope this provides a little more insight on the topic of bows. Happy playing!

All the best,

Ruthanne L. Neveu

Loading cart contents...
Load contents