The Recorder Rocks!!!

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Frances Thornton
The Recorder Rocks!!!

Can the Recorder ever be cool?

I for one absolutely adore the recorder! I love the way it sounds, looks and feels. It is easier to breathe than other woodwind instruments so there's much more control over phrasing for even beginner students. I am blessed to have some amazing young recorder students and run a wonderful recorder consort in one of my schools. It is vitally important to show young people that the recorder isn't just an instrument for primary school children but can be played for a lifetime! It is an undervalued but extremely beautiful and historic instrument. My students and I are focused and motivated to continue playing our recorders forever! Is there anyone else out there who feels they are fighting a losing battle with false preconceptions?

Terry Smith
Terry Smith

I'm totally with you on that. Same challenges with me. I love them and used to teach it, plus I've had several recorder classes and performing consorts (mostly adults) in the churches where I direct music. However, education about them has always been an issue as people still think they are the kid's toy with no heritage or history. Many have been dismayed (in a good way) when one of my groups start playing recorders of different sizes and ranges.  Education has always been a big factor towards acceptance.

Frances Thornton

I think if I can get them young enough it may help to dispel the myth. I've also noticed that wooden recorders get a more positive response, some people tend to think they are flutes. The problem is when parents are asked to buy a recorder they tend to go for a jolly coloured plastic one from Amazon and think my suggestion of a lovely wooden one is a bit unnecessary.

Ammon Swinbank
Instructor

Frances and Terry,

I can relate to this struggle. I have never taught recorder, but I have taught and performed on Ocarina, and almost everyone thinks they are toys invented by the video game 'Ocarina of Time.' 
I have played recorders of various sizes, including wooden ones, and I have a stack of recorder music. I wish I had someone to play them with!

It's true that education is the only way to change perceptions. And that takes a lot of patience.  But I support the recorder cause, and would love to see anything either of you may have posted online about them. 
Keep it up,

~Ammon

David Antonio
Instructor

This is a great thread, although I'm late getting on board. I have several clay flutes and a bunch of the Native American Style flutes which are quite similar
to the Recorder (other than the scale pattern). I've wondered if it would be a good idea to have a NASF / Recorder / Ocarina style flute circle here similar to the open mic
here.

Ammon Swinbank
Instructor

David,

I love that idea. I have two Native American flutes, a bone flute (porcelain, modeled after bone), 3 clay ocarinas and two recorders (alto and soprano). I would love to hear what everyone else is working on ?

Question: what is NASF?

David Antonio
Instructor

NASF short for Native American Style Flute

David Antonio
Instructor

I've also made a couple of flutes from bamboo and some clay whistles, one lesson face I teach the guitar and Native Style Flute.
But.. another real favorite of mine is the didgeridoo

David Antonio
Instructor

I've also made a couple of flutes from bamboo and some clay whistles, one lesson face I teach the guitar and Native Style Flute.
But.. another real favorite of mine is the didgeridoo

Ammon Swinbank
Instructor

David,

I also play the NASF, though I've never seen it abbreviated like that before. Thank you for clarifying. I like the idea of an 'other flutes' type circle that allows instruments other than the western classical flute. However, I think that is a separate thread, since this one is about the Recorder. 
Why don't you private message me and we can talk about starting up a new thread and possibly an open mic. Frances and Terry, you are welcome to message me as well. 
That way, the recorder is not getting lost in an 'other flutes' ramble.

And just for fun, here is a recorder video: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlyeilcDW7jq8p9xgt7Y0ZwGP91gpywm1

David Antonio
Instructor

I agree, will contact you about this subject.  

Loading cart contents...
Load contents