What resources do you like to use for woodwind digital sheet Music?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jaime Gibson
Instructor
What resources do you like to use for woodwind digital sheet Music?

What resources do you like to use for digital sheet Music?

In gigs I use the iReal App for the chord changes and forscore for when playing with 8 piece bands with intricate horn charts

However, I am finding that in 2020 -2021 gigs are more solo Sax/Clarinet with backing tracks .... and in this format I am using TomPlay with it's 25,000+ charts and backing tracks. It's never been easier for me to pull up "Jubel" for the dance crowd or a Mozart Sonata 

In my private lessons I am finding the above apps working really well and as can annotate the same score, picking up where we were next lesson

So.... what works for you as a woodwind teacher or a student?

Ammon Swinbank
Instructor

I've never heard of TomPlay and will have to check it out. 
I love iRealPro and I use it to practice changes with all my flutes. On ipad/iphone forScore is a fantastic sheet music reading app. The equivalent for android and windows users is MobileSheets. I used to use a Samsung tablet with MobileSheets, and now I use a Surface Pro 7 (bigger screen) with the same app and it's fantastic, no issues. 
For downloading sheet music there is always IMSLP, and there is even an iPhone/iPad app for that sight so you can download sheet music directly to your mobile device. One of my students has also told me about the site she uses, which is 8notes.com. 
There is also noteflight.com and MuseScore. Both of these are notation software, but they both have a large community that uploads sheet music which you can download. Also, they are fantastic alternatives for those who can't afford Sibelius or Finale. Noteflight is online, meaning you can notate sheet music in any browser, including on your tablet or phone. Many composers share their work through noteflight as well. MuseScore is fully open source software that you install on your computer and is updated by a dedicated community of volunteers and heavy users. MuseScore is no light weight program. I have seen many advanced professional scores produced using MuseScore. You may never need another notation software.  And again, the online community contains many pieces for download, and there is a mobile app for both android and iphone as well. Hope this helps ?

Liam Murphy
Instructor
I think most of the big players have already been mentioned; I use Musescore a lot, but if I'm teaching over Google Meet, I must use Noteflight as sharing a Chrome tab is your only option on that platform. 

If I'm just screen-sharing a PDF, I like the Foxit PDF. The UI is very tidy and minimal - doesn't get in the way even when it's not in "read mode". 

Thanks for all the resource ideas!

Heather Visser
Instructor

Hey there! 

I have been playing the flute for over 10 years and I've been using a site called Flute Tunes (https://www.flutetunes.com) for all of my flute needs. I love the finger chart for those high 3rd register notes. They have also included a NEW score each day. (I LOVE THIS!!) 

I use this to look for more music for all of my students.  :) 

Jaime Gibson
Instructor

www.TomPlay.com
Jaime Gibson

On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 at 10:46, Lessonface wrote:

> [image: Lessonface.com]
> Email:
> support@lessonface.com
>
>

Loading cart contents...
Load contents